SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-10-09, 08:22 PM   #1
Neeja

Default Oxford Sports Heated Grips

Fitted a set today. Spent ages routing the wiring nicely, bending the controller bracket to make it fit nicely, making sure everything was in the right place. Turn them on, the little LED "on" light is showing, but the temperature lights aren't working. The grips don't heat up, and the + and - buttons do nothing.

Well annoyed.
Old 11-10-09, 08:46 PM   #2
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Oxford Sports Heated Grips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeja View Post
Fitted a set today. Spent ages routing the wiring nicely, bending the controller bracket to make it fit nicely, making sure everything was in the right place. Turn them on, the little LED "on" light is showing, but the temperature lights aren't working. The grips don't heat up, and the + and - buttons do nothing.

Well annoyed.
Sounds different ,but if it is this but worth a second of your time maybe?
Try revving it a bit while try turn up the temp. Mine only work over 2k revs either the charging system's screwed, the controller unit or my wiring.

How've you wired it in? what bike is it?

How are the sport ones different?
Old 11-10-09, 08:56 PM   #3
Neeja

Tried that. Nada. I think it's the controller being dodgy - seems to be quite common.

Difference with the sport ones is that the grips are a bit thinner so they don't feel as bulky.

At the moment it's only been wired in direct to the battery, so remembering to turn it off is a must. It's going to be wired through a relay once I've got it all working. It's a curvey, btw.
Old 11-10-09, 09:32 PM   #4
ahmedf

just a quick question regarding these grips.
are they really thinner then the originals as thats wht put me off them?
also are you sure these dont have an automatic cut off once igntion is off. the old style i fitted to my sisters cg125 would automatically turn off once the igntion had been cut, even though i wired it to the battery.

any help would be great as these could be a good investment. (look nicer aswell)
Old 11-10-09, 09:35 PM   #5
Neeja

They're definitely thinner than the standard Oxford "Original" heated grips. They do have an auto-cutoff, but it's only once the battery hits 11.5v, at which point you'd struggle to start an SV.
Old 12-10-09, 10:42 PM   #6
Neeja

Update on this: It was the main control box that had gone. I'd thought it was the temp adjuster box, but no, it had to be the one that I'd tucked away neatly.

Bought a relay and wired it so the grips come on when the dash info lights come on, so I can now run the grips in the on position and they'll only be powered as long as the ignition is on, but not reliant on any lights or such being on at the same time.

Grips are toasty.
Old 13-10-09, 10:16 AM   #7
lee67

oxford heated grips are well known for having dodgy controllers/grips with missing elements....try thicker gloves lol
Old 13-10-09, 12:57 PM   #8
sv_rory

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee67 View Post
oxford heated grips are well known for having dodgy controllers/grips with missing elements....try thicker gloves lol

Thats worth me bearing in mind for when I get a set
Old 13-10-09, 02:03 PM   #9
Neeja

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee67 View Post
I'd heard about the dodgy controllers before, so wasn't that surprised when it turned out to be one. I *was* a bit surprised that it was the main control box rather than the bar-mounted one.

Having said that, the grips are top-notch. Started the bike and knocked them to 100%, closed garage, put helmet and gloves on, and by the time I was riding I could already feel the warmth. A minute or two later I had to knock it down to 75%.

The grips are slightly bigger than standard grips, but nowhere near as bulky as normal heated grips. I'm getting a small amount of aching in my right hand after 20 minutes of riding, but I'm putting that down to getting used to the slightly different movements for throttle control.

All in all, very impressed with them after the initial mishap.
Old 13-10-09, 02:56 PM   #10
LK-SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeja View Post

The grips are slightly bigger than standard grips, but nowhere near as bulky as normal heated grips. I'm getting a small amount of aching in my right hand after 20 minutes of riding, but I'm putting that down to getting used to the slightly different movements for throttle control.

All in all, very impressed with them after the initial mishap.
I have to say *touches wood* that I'm impressed with mine too ..... wouldn't be without heated grips now .... (if only I could find a decent set of heated socks now)

re. Larger grips ...... I actually think I'm more comfortable with the larger grips, and now I'm used to them much prefer them to the narrower originals .....