SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Do you like Lewis Hamilton?
Yes, love the guy. 16 32.65%
No, strongly dislike the guy. 7 14.29%
He is ok i suppose. 13 26.53%
Lewis who? I don't care. 13 26.53%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14-09-08, 11:14 PM   #1
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

Default Do you like Lewis Hamilton?

Was just wondering, with the widespread society of the org, do you like Lewis Hamilton, as a person, as an F1 driver, as a Brit, as a whole in general?

Feel free to explain your choice, in the thread, if you wish or simply just vote.

Last edited by Binky; 14-09-08 at 11:17 PM.
Binky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-08, 11:31 PM   #2
plowsie

Default Re: Do you like Lewis Hamilton?

Whats not to like about the guy, in racing terms, he is a great driver and gets the job done, yes he makes maybe a few mistakes, but he's young, he has to learn from his mistakes to make him a better driver. And possibly, he is the most sucessful brit in sport at the moment since possibly JT? (BTW I am NOT writing JT off to be a failure this year)

Personality wise, never seen anything about him being a kn0b, but, he must have something about him to pull the bird from the pussycat dolls...Oh wait, he is minted
Old 14-09-08, 11:46 PM   #3
Rog

GReat talent in a crap sport. Dont know the guy so I can only comment on his talent.

PLowsie, dont know how you can call JT a failure. He is in a satelite team with crap tyres. Where the tyres have worked and he has known the circuit he has performed solidly and generally finshed above Edwards. The only thing I think he needs to improve on is his wet weather racing as thats twice hes started well then dropped of the back of the field. IF he finshes close to edwards in the points (which it looks like he will) then I think he has had a good season to build on next year.

IN a nutshell, if he had failed I dont see why TEch 3 woudl have signed him for a another year ?
Old 14-09-08, 11:50 PM   #4
plowsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog View Post
GReat talent in a crap sport. Dont know the guy so I can only comment on his talent.

PLowsie, dont know how you can call JT a failure. He is in a satelite team with crap tyres. Where the tyres have worked and he has known the circuit he has performed solidly and generally finshed above Edwards. The only thing I think he needs to improve on is his wet weather racing as thats twice hes started well then dropped of the back of the field. IF he finshes close to edwards in the points (which it looks like he will) then I think he has had a good season to build on next year.

IN a nutshell, if he had failed I dont see why TEch 3 woudl have signed him for a another year ?
For your benefit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Whats not to like about the guy, in racing terms, he is a great driver and gets the job done, yes he makes maybe a few mistakes, but he's young, he has to learn from his mistakes to make him a better driver. And possibly, he is the most sucessful brit in sport at the moment since possibly JT? (BTW I am NOT writing JT off to be a failure this year)
Now please step of the box Mr Rog
Old 14-09-08, 11:51 PM   #5
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowsie View Post

Personality wise, never seen anything about him being a kn0b
That's mostly what i've seen of him personality wise, Kn0b.

Guess you know my vote then.
Old 15-09-08, 12:23 AM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

People are very good at judging the character of people they've never met Considering all the attention and adulation he's had, if he comes over as anything less than a total, total c*** then he's probably a very cool guy.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-08, 07:20 AM   #7
Tiger 55

Well I've never met him but he's just too Mr Shiny-Shiny Corporate for my liking. Fabulous driver don't get me wrong but he needs to say f*ck once in a while like Eddie Irvine or grow a little beard like Jenson Button. I'm easily impressed by acts of rebellion such as those.

A lot of the other F1 drivers reportedly think he's a kn0b too, but that could just be getting their arses kicked by some wee boy boy who still trails round with his Dad.
Old 15-09-08, 08:29 AM   #8
glsuk1970

Love the guy. He's the most exciting thing to happen to F1 in ages, from a British fans point of view at least.

He's constantly under pressure from the press, his sponsers and supporters and considering this is only his second year in F1 and he's still only 23, he's handling it all well and still delivering results on the track.

Sometimes he might come across as arrogant but then you have to believe in yourself 110% when you're competeing at that level.
Old 15-09-08, 09:01 AM   #9
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I think eventually he will be a great driver, he's not quite there yet though and perhaps somebody needs to tell him that 2nd in his rookie year and some race wins do not make him Aryton Senna.

I'm begining to find his interview persona irritating. I hope he grows out of it.

I think the comments made by some of the other drivers not having alot of sympathy for him after his 25 punishment are also telling to.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-08, 09:02 AM   #10
Viney
Mega Poster

I like the chap. I read his book a wahile back, and he is just so driven. He wants to be the best and thats that, and there is nothing wrong with that. Ok, his driving style can be aggressive sometimes but no more than one Mr Schmacher in his early years.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote