SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-02-07, 09:02 PM   #1
SVeeedy Gonzales

Default Front brake not activating brake light properly

When I pull the brake lever a bit, the brake light goes on, then if I continue pulling it goes off. I can't find anything about adjusting brake light sensitivity for the brake lever, only on the brake pedal (which works the brake light fine)

Is there some sort of mechanical adjustment that can be made on the brake lever or is it an electrical gremlin?
Old 26-02-07, 09:09 PM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Front brake not activating brake light properly

No it's a spring loaded switch under the lever pivot, if the switch has lost one of the two mounting screws then it some times moves, which could be the case here?

one of the connections need pushing back on?

Or perhaps need a replacement about £4

Cheers Mark
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-07, 09:39 PM   #3
lucky strike

Remove the switch and give it a good blasting with WD40. Did the trick for me when I had exactly the same 'symptoms' as you!
Old 26-02-07, 10:22 PM   #4
Carsick

Sounds like a dirty contact. Probably simplest to replace it but I seem to remember embee taking his apart and cleaning it, so could be worth a go.
Old 26-02-07, 10:25 PM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

Had exactly the same thing.

The way the switch works is that the contacts are made as the button is pushed, and then the contacts slide slightly due to the way they are mounted on a spring leaf. The idea is that the contacts are self cleaning to some extent due to this sliding action, but what happened to mine was that some dirt had accumulated at the contact point and had been pushed towards the end, so when it first touched it made good electrical contact but then slid onto the dirty part and the circuit was broken.

The switches are not really meant to come apart, but will if you are careful. There are 3 (IIRC) small plastic pins which are melted over to hold the 2 halves of the body together. Carefully insert a blade into the joint next to the pins and prise them apart so the end pops off the pin and you can open it up to clean it.

Alternatively (and much easier) is to follow the "dousing in WD40" advice above. It'll probably do the trick. Contact cleaner would be ideal, but it's not that critical.

If all else fails, new ones are not bank-breakers.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-07, 12:09 PM   #6
SVeeedy Gonzales

Excellent - I've blasted it with WD40 this morning. It's probably dirty contacts - I had more of a play with the lever and the brake light can come on and go off a few times as the lever is pulled and released. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it gets better or worse after the WD40. Cheers guys.