SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 31-03-20, 09:09 PM   #21
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Veg Plot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris8886 View Post
GROOOOAAAN! But good work!

You're a sucker for punishment aren't you?!
Haha, I know it seems that way Chris but I find the whole process really quite therapeutic. And knowing that I'll be eating all that home grown produce as well as filling the freezer with it later on helps too
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-20, 09:29 PM   #22
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I've tried to order more seeds. Nothing available locally as all indie places are closed. Tried to get some from B&Q as they're able to do click and collect in our local one still. Only the option to buy them is greyed out on the website as they're seen as not essential? Surely they're future food (?) and B&Q is still open to sell other stuff anyway.

Then went online to other sellers to find that people are now charging £8 for 10 courgette seeds and other crazy prices and most don't have stock until an estimated September time!
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-20, 09:40 PM   #23
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I've planted all my courgette seeds now Adam, but I'll have a look around and see if I can find any around here for you.
Old 31-03-20, 09:50 PM   #24
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Adam.....https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391305445093
Old 01-04-20, 09:20 AM   #25
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Cheers. Seller is away until 24th April. Probably longer I'd imagine if the lockdown continues.
I have planted a few courgette seeds I found in the box from last year, but from memory they weren't that great last year. Hopefully we'll have more luck with them this year and they weren't just dodgy seeds.

We do have lots of homemade compost that is good to use this year, so that might be a help with the few seeds we do have.
Old 01-04-20, 05:44 PM   #26
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Reasons to be cheerful....

1. Twelve bags of well rotted horse poo.

HorsePoo
by garynortheast

2. A nicely filled compost bin.

Compost Bins
by garynortheast

3. Top bed built, dug, and raked.

Top Bed - Dug and Raked
by garynortheast
Old 02-04-20, 06:22 PM   #27
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Cheers. Seller is away until 24th April. Probably longer I'd imagine if the lockdown continues.
I have planted a few courgette seeds I found in the box from last year, but from memory they weren't that great last year. Hopefully we'll have more luck with them this year and they weren't just dodgy seeds.

We do have lots of homemade compost that is good to use this year, so that might be a help with the few seeds we do have.

The Range near us had seeds today, don't know if you have one near you? I don't know when we'll need to go back there again but I can see if there is anything left and try and grab you some.

Same offer for anyone, just don't hold your breath as we've got enough stuff for a while.

Ste
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 08:21 PM   #28
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Cheers. I'll check the one in Bristol.

My wife did find a packet of courgette seeds today that she'd got me for Christmas, so we have at least 10 in date courgette seeds. No sign of life yet with the sugar snaps.
Old 03-04-20, 10:03 PM   #29
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Glad you found some seeds Adam. They need to go in this weekend really, give you the longest possible growing season.

Sioned and I were out doing these this afternoon.

Potato towers
by garynortheast

Potato towers
by garynortheast

Potato towers by garynortheast

Our potato towers. We were only going to do three of them originally, but I was given more seed potatoes and we now have six towers with another two to be added tomorrow.
Great space saver for growing spuds. Pack the tyres with dead bracken or straw first, then plant the seed potatoes in a mix of well rotted horse poo and compost. Cover with more of the same, and when the shoots come through add another tyre treated the same way as the first one. I reckon we'll get to about six or seven tyres high before we harvest the spuds.

Sioned potted on all the tomato plants today and my little greenhouse is getting a bit full. I may need to buy another one at this rate!

Full!
by garynortheast

Planted two rows of beetroot this evening with a row of radishes sown over the top of each row of beetroot.

Beetroot and radishes
by garynortheast
Old 04-04-20, 01:28 PM   #30
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

I'll be sowing the parsnips seeds this weekend. My toms are already nearly ready to pot on but not quite but I set mine off later than you Gary.