SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 14-08-22, 10:09 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Whitby

On Thursday I rode to Whitby, it's about 95 miles each way and gave me my first ever look at the York moors which I hadn't seen before. My mental image was of a bigger version of the Lincs Wolds but it was much more impressive with each hill you crested the vista expanded before you. Naturally I didn't take any pictures

I rode past Fylingdales and would have loved to look inside - they use one of the flat radars built like a modern day pyramid. I don't think guided tours were available.

I'm in the same BBC region as Whitby so I thought I knew what it was like but the reality proved much better.

I needed to "spend a penny" - it cost 40p! I think that's considerably more than the inflation rate. Weirdly, I bought two ice creams later and checked with the vendor that it would cost £6 and laid out the money. He handed me 40p change and when I queried it, he said his mistake but keep it. I guess that refunded my loo visit.

Since my SV is off the road awaiting head bearings, I took the Yam. I hadn't realised how much difference the flyscreen makes until I didn't have one. We stopped at Fimber Park (near Wetwang - yes, a real place) for- homemade egg custard and shoot the breeze with many other bikers.

Harvest time! There were a lot of tractors which may account for my fuel consumption - 85 mpg and I thought the SV was economical.

We didn't visit the abbey which was the inspiration for Bram Stoker's Dracula story, you can see the ruins on the far headland. I imagine on cold, foggy night it would be spooky.
Old 14-08-22, 06:14 PM   #2
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: Whitby

Strange place Whitby, everyone seemed to spit a lot and wanted to hog the pavement. Everything shuts at 9, and by that I don't mean the last restaurant table you can book is 9, that's when they all close.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-22, 06:44 PM   #3
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Have been there a couple of times - the fish and chips there are amazing. The little streets in the old town are full of local Jet jewellery and interesting stuff (as well as tourists rubbish) but it has quite a charm to it.

Oddly, last time I was there, one of the seafront ice cream places was selling Beachdeen ice cream, which is based just up the road from me here in Buckinghamshire!
Old 14-08-22, 07:13 PM   #4
redtrummy

Dont visit at a summer bank holiday - it gets beyond full
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-22, 01:03 PM   #5
Craig380
Mega Poster

The road from Malton - Pickering - Whitby is lovely, an open rollercoaster of a road with fabulous views, especially around Levisham and the hole of Horcum (no sniggering at the back).

I'm amazed that average speed cameras haven't been installed on it yet, as there are some sections where you can really stretch your bike's legs. Loads of overtaking opportunities too to get past the inevitable caravan / motorhome trains.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-22, 10:50 AM   #6
redtrummy

The train journey from Pickering to Whitby is pretty good too.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote