SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-09-22, 08:19 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Metalwork

I never did metalwork at school and maybe because of that I find watching metal being worked fascinating.

Here's 30 minutes of lathes, drills, routers, presses, welding as 3 Honda 50 engines are transformed into a radial engine (part 1).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx41MQ2Hk5k
Old 25-09-22, 11:19 AM   #2
mister c
Mega Poster

Default Re: Metalwork

Seek out Alan Milyard on YouTube, the man is a pure genius when it comes to metalwork. He builds some fantastic motorcycle creations in his garage at home
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-22, 12:11 PM   #3
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister c View Post
Seek out Alan Milyard on YouTube, the man is a pure genius when it comes to metalwork. He builds some fantastic motorcycle creations in his garage at home
Stunning the way he cuts crankcases with a hacksaw when he's making his creations. Making a Honda RC166 replica from Yamaha parts seems almost a sacrilege though.
Old 25-09-22, 08:44 PM   #4
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Its quite cool, there was one I saw the other week where a single cylinder Yamaha engine got turned into a Boxer Twin.

The only trouble with these videos is they might give you inspiration to see what your local Hackspace or Makerspace might have. Mine for example has a lathe, a mill, a small CNC, welders, and everything else you might need to start fabricating your own custom parts. And if you start to get in to it you might end up spending quite a lot of hours there, ask me how I know...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-22, 07:29 PM   #5
mister c
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Stunning the way he cuts crankcases with a hacksaw when he's making his creations. Making a Honda RC166 replica from Yamaha parts seems almost a sacrilege though.
The rc166 was amazing & even sounds like the old Honda 6.

Sent from my M2102J20SG using Tapatalk
Old 26-09-22, 07:31 PM   #6
mister c
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
Its quite cool, there was one I saw the other week where a single cylinder Yamaha engine got turned into a Boxer Twin.

The only trouble with these videos is they might give you inspiration to see what your local Hackspace or Makerspace might have. Mine for example has a lathe, a mill, a small CNC, welders, and everything else you might need to start fabricating your own custom parts. And if you start to get in to it you might end up spending quite a lot of hours there, ask me how I know...
Luckily I don't have the skills, but do seem to end up in the shed spending money I don't really have trying to resurrect rusty old bikes & then selling them at a loss

Old 27-09-22, 08:02 AM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Luckily I don't have the skills, but do seem to end up in the shed spending money I don't really have trying to resurrect rusty old bikes & then selling them at a loss

tiz not the profit its the pleasure of doing the task. besides what else would you be doing.. festering in front of a tv..
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-22, 08:13 AM   #8
Stilo

Agree, Ive just bought a Gladius with a fubared engine and in need of serious TLC just to keep me out of the house. No doubt I shall regret it
Old 27-09-22, 10:32 AM   #9
EssEllTwo

Quote:

Many many years back he was set a challenge to build a 6 cylinder engine across the weekend of the Stafford Classic Bike show. Loads of people scoffed as he set about sawing up cases with a hacksaw and what looked to be rudimentary tools. On Sunday afternoon, they were eating their words when the engine fired into life.
EssEllTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-22, 05:52 PM   #10
mister c
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssEllTwo View Post
Many many years back he was set a challenge to build a 6 cylinder engine across the weekend of the Stafford Classic Bike show. Loads of people scoffed as he set about sawing up cases with a hacksaw and what looked to be rudimentary tools. On Sunday afternoon, they were eating their words when the engine fired into life.
Unfortunately I am old enough to remember it. I was there on the Sunday afternoon when he fired it up. I couldn't believe that it could've been done.