SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Pennine Massive For those readers based up north.

Old 30-10-06, 11:23 AM   #1
600+

Default While in the 15/10 rideout.......

we were stopped by the police to give us some info on a road safety scheme they were running.

Since I'm always up to things that could improve my riding I sent the docs back and received a call today to arrange for the rideout with an instructor on the 12th of November.

Question is do I need to put my baffle in my CCC exhaust?

Also any tips of what to do or not?

Cheers
Old 30-10-06, 11:32 AM   #2
mattSV
Mega Poster

Depends on the force/copper I think - I did my Bikesafe course on my SV650 with twin renegade race pipes - only comment from the copper was 'Bloody hell, they sound nice'
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-06, 12:16 PM   #3
600+

OK I guess we'll find out soon
Old 30-10-06, 01:20 PM   #4
PoRk ChOp

When I did mine I couldnt find the baffles they couldnt give a stuff tbh!
Old 30-10-06, 11:35 PM   #5
rob13

I wouldnt bother, theyre only concerned with improving your riding, not penalising you for taking part in something which could make you a better rider. Enjoy the day mate
Old 31-10-06, 07:57 AM   #6
600+

only reason I'm asking is because on the note they sent me it said that any illegal mods will mean that there is no training session

not sure if my can would be classed as an illegal mode
Old 31-10-06, 10:21 AM   #7
rob13

hmmmm i wouldnt have thought they would have sent that. Again although it says one thing on the paper, its down to the discretion of the cop on the day. I would have thought the bike cops would sympathise more with bikers anyway
Old 31-10-06, 10:39 AM   #8
timwilky
Mega Poster

Was that the lot at Gisburn that stopped you.

My understanding is that Lancs do not do Bikesafe. and it is the local councils road safety people who operate a scheme.

I have several objects to the council running such schemes:-

They are road safety, payed by the council tax payers. Why should we then have to pay for their services. If they were truely interested in improving the safety of bikers their courses would be free.

As a road safety organisation, they should be lobbying their principles for engineering improvements in the interest of safety. They don't they are simply a commercial training body.

I would rather attend a recognised and far cheaper course provided by IAM or RoSPA.
Old 31-10-06, 10:43 AM   #9
600+

Hi Tim,

yeap that lot it was. BUT I'm afraid you're a bit confused here. I am not getting charged (as far as I know). A police instructor will just take me out for a ride and he will give me some feedback with regards my riding.

I agree with your points IF I had to pay. Plus I am already attending an IAM course for the car and will be doing the bike in March when my local club starts their courses again.

Cheers
Old 03-11-06, 10:53 AM   #10
Tomcat

let us know how you go on with your bike safe. And if you have any trouble with your can, I am thinking of doing the same but have a small reg, and can with no baffle !

I was talking to a policeman about this bike safe. The bike safe is free of charge, which is an assessment of your riding, with instruction in small doses.

There is also a scheme called bike sense, which is 60 quid, but you can send off a form which will reduce it to 30 quid. For that you get a total of 6 hours of one to one riding with a motorbike cop.... I think that is fair enough. In the grand scheme of things 30 quid is not a great deal of money, and the council tax seems to pay for the honor of breathing fresh air, not anything actually worthwhile!