SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-05-15, 03:40 PM   #1
Layzeeness

Red face How do I drain the fuel from the tank

First off my apologies if this has been covered, I looked but couldn't see a similar thread.

I need to remove the tank from my 99 SV650. Removing it doesn't seem like an issue, I was just wondering the best way to remove the several litres of petrol in the tank first. Can anyone advise me please.
Old 18-05-15, 06:18 PM   #2
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Default Re: How do I drain the fuel from the tank

The easiest way would be to use a syphon and drain it into a petrol can, this way you can use the fuel once you are ready to pour it back in.

A syphon is a very simple device and works through gravity. First you need a long piece of flexible pipe about five feet long to be safe. Stick the end of the long flexible pipe into your tank and drop the other end down the side of the bike towards your petrol can. Suck the end of the pipe and once fuel starts to flow, put the end of the pipe into the can. Do not swallow any fuel and try not to get any in your mouth because it is very bad for you.

Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-15, 06:59 PM   #3
Fruity-ya-ya

Yep +1 re syphon.

You could always get a cheap one with a pump if you're not confident.
It's not the nicest tasting stuff.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-tra...er-syphon-pump

http://www.advantage-motorsport.co.u...FUMUwwodn7wAyA

Last edited by Fruity-ya-ya; 18-05-15 at 07:01 PM.
Old 18-05-15, 07:26 PM   #4
Layzeeness

Thanks. I can syphon the tank. I just wondered, as I was removing the tank, if there was a better way. I suppose the simple ways are usually the best. ��
Old 19-05-15, 10:06 AM   #5
TamSV
Mega Poster

As you're taking the tank off anyway I wouldn't bother siphoning.

The tank will come off without spilling fuel but you might as well run it down as empty as you can first.

Keep the fuel cap closed. Remove the front seat, lift the tank, disconnect the hoses from the fuel tap and the drain under the tank and disconnect the fuel sensor. Then lower the tank and remove the hinge bolts at the rear of the tank. Lift the tank off - no petrol will come out. If you're in the garage/shed, take it outside for the next stage.

If you just need to get "most" of the fuel out open the fuel cap and turn the tank upside down over a bucket or a big funnel into a petrol can.

If you're taking the fuel tap off the bottom of the tank you can easily get all the fuel out there when you take the tap off.

If you're clumsy like me you'll splash petrol everywhere so empty the tank outdoors. And put your fag out first.

EDIT: Just re-read your post - if the job you're doing doesn't require the fuel to be drained then don't bother. You can remove and replace the tank while it's full of fuel if you want - it's just heavier.

Last edited by TamSV; 19-05-15 at 10:10 AM.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-15, 01:09 PM   #6
Layzeeness

Thanks. Didn't realise I could remove pipes without the fuel spilling. Great instructions, thanks. I removed fuel tap over a funnel managed to catch most of the fuel but some still got away. Far easier than I thought it was going to be. Tank is now in the spay shop.
Old 19-05-15, 05:33 PM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Moved to SV talk where you'll get more help / advice

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote