SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-07-07, 11:01 AM   #1
600+

Default Rant about Recruitment Agencies

Right,

sorry about the rant but just need to get it off my chest!

Been looking for the "right" job for about 6 months. Have been to various interviews, some I declined myself others I was not what they were looking for - fair enough.

About 3 weeks ago found a job I'd really like, it's consulting, IT, growing UK company, good salary package overall and seems like a nice place to work. So I apply through the advertising agency and go for the 1st interview. They like me, I like them so go for the 2nd and final interview.

That was last Wednesday. On Thursday I get a call saying they really liked me and they want me.....so here's me waiting for the offer.

I'M BLOODY STILL WAITING A WEEK+ LATER!!!!!

They need to get the offer signed off from the big boss and until then they cannot tell me anything more apart from the fact that they want me!!

How cr@p is that??!!!! So instead of turning people away when they ring me for more interviews I have to prepare and attend as this job never came up

And since I want the job I have to keep ringing the Agency everyday to chase for updates!

Last edited by 600+; 13-07-07 at 11:04 AM.
Old 13-07-07, 11:17 AM   #2
Jelster

Default Re: Rant about Recruitment Agencies

2 things to remember.....
  • Nothing exits between you until both parties have "signed on the line which is dotted". Ignore the fact you want that job and they want you. (Hell, I even had a signed offer once which was revoked 2 days before I was due to start because the MD left. It cost them 3 months money though.....)
  • Finding a job is a full time occupation in itself. Assume the attitude that you work for "600+ Ltd" and nobody else, until such time that you have the position you're looking for.
HTH...
Old 13-07-07, 11:35 AM   #3
Pedro68

Yeah, don't do what I did ...

(I'm an IT contractor btw)

My contract was ended by my employer (because they had no further work for me). I got "offered" another contract. Basically, I had a telephone interview, and then several calls to/from recruitment agency. Then was told "they want you to start, but we are just waiting on a confirmed start date, but it will probably be early next week".

I went and told my current employer who decided it would be in everybody's best interest (except the agency) for them to release me from my contract 2 weeks early so that I could start my new contract, and so they didn't have to pay me for the last 2 weeks for sitting round on my backside doing very little. [Last I heard, agency and employer were still embroiled in bitter dispute about this - contracts blah, blah, blah].

So I left one employer "fully expecting" to be working another contract the following week. The next week came ... and I still hadn't got a confirmed start date. When I asked why, "oh the manager who needs to authorise your start is on holiday at the moment" ... what a load of BS ... so there was NOBODY else in the organisation that could deal with this? The week went ... I lost a weeks pay that I could have had by staying with the previous employer ... then halfway through the following week I get a phonecall from the agency ... "They've pulled the role. They are not going to fill that position now due to contractual arguments, etc., etc.".

Great, so now I had to look for another contract sharpish ... and I missed out on 2 weeks pay that I could otherwise have still had ... AND ... as part of the application process I agreed to get my passport renewed THE SAME DAY AS REQUESTED AT A COST OF £108 because they needed it for security checks (well the job was working for a company called Northgate - who supply software/services to many police forces up n down the country - so there ya go, "named & shamed").

Lesson learnt ... don't leave one job for another just because they have told you that they want you

I don't lay any blame with the agency tho - they couldn't have known that the company was going to pull the role. Although I sometimes wonder what would have happened had I signed the contract they sent me with no start date on it?!

Pete
Old 13-07-07, 11:41 AM   #4
600+

cheers for the replies - this is the attitude I have as well but it's getting on my nerves big time
Old 13-07-07, 11:58 AM   #5
the_runt69

Dont worry too much but dont leave until you have the contract signed and sealed. Am working my 3 months notice with my company now to take up the same position within another company. Both Companies are owned by the same umbrella group but one wont release me without serving my 3 months notice to the other and i have to start as a new entrant so lose 31 years service.
Old 13-07-07, 12:05 PM   #6
600+

yeah they keep asking me if I would resign if they confirmed by email LOL

I told them to sod off and I wouldn't resign without a signed contract!!!
Old 13-07-07, 12:15 PM   #7
the_runt69

Have resigned from my Old job in October to find new job doesnt start until November, The company however are honouring the contract to start 8th of October and doing all the induction and learning bits in the month before it starts instead. At least I will be in at the beginning now instead of being 2 months behind everybody else
Old 13-07-07, 12:26 PM   #8
600+

well i need to ring the agency at 2pm for an update although since they haven't rang me yet I assume they have jack **** to tell me
Old 13-07-07, 01:13 PM   #9
600+

have just had an update from the agency

they have given me specifics this time in terms of salary etc etc but they said car allowance of £250 a month nothing about a company car as I was told initially

Now I am based in M'cr and all clients are in the southwest. My car is an 06 reg and could get £7k if I sold it now. If I have to travel around in my car and take the car allowance I would earn £250*12= £3000 but I don't think that would cover my insurance, wear and tear of the vehicle.

I reckon a 2 year old car with 50k on the clock wouldn't be worth much

should I accept?

Last edited by 600+; 13-07-07 at 01:16 PM.
Old 13-07-07, 01:22 PM   #10
Viney
Mega Poster

I deal with recruitment agencies on 2 levels. I get staff from them, and i rely on them trying to find me a job.

Staff wise...hmmm, i want a,b&c i get Z,K & L not helpful. Shout and scream, but after 5 years, nothings changed!

Recruitment wise - Hate them with a passion. Sadly no other way to find a job. They dont call you back. They set expectations with the client that are far from your capabilites, they are just plain slack.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote