SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-04-05, 05:08 PM   #1
The Mass

Default How long should it take

Hi all,

How long should it take to get the old standard can off, and fit a slip on.

Considering I have to hack off the old pipe (with junior hack saw) and fit the new buzzard!!

Cheers - Mass

Started on it already, but been the shop to buy some new blades.

Not made much progress yet.
Old 04-04-05, 05:13 PM   #2
Carsick

Took me about 20 minutes with a full size saw. I didn't even knacker one blade.
Old 04-04-05, 05:20 PM   #3
madmartyn

took me half hour with hacksaw in the dark after work one night(no power in my garage ) then finished it off the next morning, well worth the swearing and sweat
Old 04-04-05, 05:22 PM   #4
The Mass

The weather is starting to clear up here now after Pi$$ing it down.

I'll carry on after then, when the kids have gone to bed..Let you know when I've finished
Old 04-04-05, 05:34 PM   #5
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Took me bloody ages...and a few cups of tea.

Best advice is to cover everything you can with cardboard....one slip and you could be halfway thru a brake line.

I got thru 2 blades on a big hacksaw...the junior ones handle was just too dificult to grip comfortably for me. Well worth it in the end.

Oh make sure to start it when the cut is finished. Sounds sooooo good i was tempted to ride it like that for a few days.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-05, 05:35 PM   #6
Red ones
Mega Poster

Took 5 dys to fit mine, but I did send it to Crap Craps garage for it!
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-05, 06:40 PM   #7
Ash999

.......... or you could be a lazy git and go down to argos and buy a really cheap challenge angle grinder for 15 quid and grind the bugger off in seconds and little effort!!
Old 04-04-05, 06:43 PM   #8
Stig

Or even buy the bike with a nice ART race can already done for you. Jeez that can was loud
Old 04-04-05, 06:57 PM   #9
The Mass

hhmmm.....

see what you all mean, it's either take the whole system off and cut it, or angle grind (big no no, as it's too near that nice metal bar that keeps the back wheel on (swing arm) )
Did try and take the whole system off - and then put it back on when I noticed it attached to what looks like the manifold
So Ok the other option is to take the rear brake foot pegs off.
But hey, we're talking about me now...and the day I've had so far...nah you're alright...I'll leave it

picks up nice cold beer outof fridge, sits down and gets on forum...
Old 04-04-05, 07:48 PM   #10
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mass
hhmmm.....

see what you all mean, it's either take the whole system off and cut it, or angle grind (big no no, as it's too near that nice metal bar that keeps the back wheel on (swing arm) )
Did try and take the whole system off - and then put it back on when I noticed it attached to what looks like the manifold
So Ok the other option is to take the rear brake foot pegs off.
But hey, we're talking about me now...and the day I've had so far...nah you're alright...I'll leave it

picks up nice cold beer outof fridge, sits down and gets on forum...
You seem to be going thru the same thought process i did just a few months back Mass.

Honestly, once you get a small surface cut going with the hacksaw its just a case of perseverance.It just takes a while so make a start when you are gonna have enough time and light to finish it. unless you have a garage in which case i'm jealous.

It quickly gets to a point where you have to finish it cos you cant ride the bike otherwise so you will get it done. I had to find a comfy angle to lean over the top with my belly on the seat so i could get a good cut angle.

Its gonna be worth it when you get your new can on it. All the effort just fades away under the sound
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote