SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-01-23, 06:43 PM   #11
redtrummy

Default Re: Wanabe SV owner....

I bought mine in 99, never thought of requesting a test ride but do i regret buying it -no, would I swap it, dont think so, - as I get older its not too heavy and plenty fast enough -(or it will be if I can get it back on two!)
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-23, 06:57 PM   #12
Craig380
Mega Poster

Similarly, I bought my first SV (a 2006 half-faired S model) in 2015 without test-riding. Loved it immediately. After 20+ years of 2-strokes, the biggest issue was the engine braking
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-23, 01:59 PM   #13
suzuvee

OK, so I've just done a deal on a 2019 SV650X less than 2K on the clock, 1 previous owner and utterly mint condition. Dealer is about 100 miles away but I eventually haggled them down on price and agree for them to deliver themselves, instead of using a third party service. I've told them they can take their time on delivery as I won't be riding it until the roads are free of salt.
So, I'm now a SV owner and my first Suzuki! I've had at least 1 of the other 3 Jap makes so this will be interesting.
Looking for recommendations on exhausts and rear shock now!!
suzuvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-23, 05:53 PM   #14
Craig380
Mega Poster

Good stuff, hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoy ours!

Ride it for a bit before looking at a shock swap, personally I think the stock suspension is fine, but my point of reference is 70s 2-strokes, so anything is an improvement on those

Exhaust recommendations: the stock exhaust actually sounds OK but its looks are an acquired taste. I've got a Yoshi TRS on mine (intended for a 1250 Bandit, it has a BIG internal core) with a one-off link pipe. Works perfectly with no need for an ECU flash / power commander. But there are loads of choices. In general a longer can has a deeper, richer tone, shorties are louder (and potentially more offensive).
Old 28-01-23, 02:30 PM   #15
suzuvee

Teaser pic:-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jhfhhg.jpg (127.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 28-01-23, 05:03 PM   #16
suzuvee

Bu66er!! Update, I haven't bought an SV!! Was checking the details and suddenly realised this isn't a 2019 model, but a late registered 2018 AL8!!
So, start again then! Fortunately I've found an actual AL9 and it's local and cheaper! So I'll take a look at that on Monday. Also, I've found a 2022 model, bit more than the budget I've set but I'm going to call on Monday to see if a deal could be done, it's also fairly local, about 50 miles away.
Don't like the colour scheme on either of them but I'll have to live with that!
Are huggers standard on the 2019 and 2022? Asking because neither have them.
Old 28-01-23, 05:34 PM   #17
Craig380
Mega Poster

Hope you get one sorted quickly.

Huggers are NOT standard but in my view, the SV doesn't need one. There's a built-in flap which protects the ABS module and rear shock / linkage very well, and the hugger doesn't give the rider any additional weather protection.
Old 30-01-23, 08:53 AM   #18
mister c
Mega Poster

I'm now on my 6th SV. I buy one, sell it, buy a bigger bike, then miss the SV, so get another.
They are vastly underrated machines that are capable of everything that you want to do on Britain's roads. Yes, there are faster bikes, there are better handling bikes, but, for real world riding I don't think that you can beat them.
As previously stated, the engines are awesome - fairly grunty low down & torque right the way through the rev range &, of course, the lovely Vee Twin sound is infectious. Looked after, they will last forever
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-23, 09:44 AM   #19
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuvee View Post
I've found a 2022 model, bit more than the budget I've set but I'm going to call on Monday to see if a deal could be done
The latest models are slightly lower in power (1 or 2 bhp) but have 4 piston front calipers not the 2 piston that SV's have had since 1999. I like the (gloss) white tank/blue frame model they did in 2020 (?) and I think the newer red frame bike looks good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380
Huggers are NOT standard but in my view, the SV doesn't need one.
Craig is correct in that the stock SV has a shock/linkage shield but I fitted a hugger to try and stop the bike (not me) getting so dirty at the back since I'm a compulsive polisher (and it gets very dirty very quickly).

There are many to choose from, this one is from RedFox (for a Gladius), it was the biggest one I could find in 2017. I had a Pyramid one prior which broke (and they replaced) but it was far too small for my liking although it went below the level of the swing arm which was a good idea.
Old 30-01-23, 02:13 PM   #20
admin
John T
Mega Poster

That's a monster front mudflap! I don't blame you for fitting it though, modern bikes have stupidly small mudguards.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk