SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-07-21, 08:17 PM   #161
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Veg Plot.

In a break in the rain this evening after work I lifted my main crop spuds. Quite a nice crop so happy days.
Old 30-07-21, 08:24 PM   #162
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
In a break in the rain this evening after work I lifted my main crop spuds. Quite a nice crop so happy days.
All the spuds here went in quite late so are 2nd earlies are just coming ready to lift now.

No scab or wireworm damage I hope Trev?

We're now eating masses of stuff from the veg plot; runner, french, and broad beans, maincrop peas and sugar snaps, beetroot, swiss chard, spring onions, lettuce, courgettes. Tomatoes are ripening, celery is coming along nicely.

All the hard work is paying off now.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-21, 09:02 PM   #163
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

My order from Suttons cocked up so I only ended up with a small bag of Desiree this year instead of them and earlies. Got them in three months ago and they've just finished flowering so just right for lifting. I've found to my cost in previous years that hoping they'd get bigger by leaving them in the ground longer means a lot of skin and worm issues but these look fine. I'll let them dry for a day or two in the trug in the dark of the shed then bag them in a paper sack.

My lettuce are all done now (they bolt so fast in the summer so I only do them for spring eating), carrots are ok but "ugly" due to my stony soil, beetroot are doing/eating very well this year, had several meals from the runner beans with lots of flowers still on them, onions are bulking up well, the pumpkins have gone mad with some of the runners over ten feet long now with some of the fruit the size of small footballs already, and I've never had such a good growth of parsnips - we'll be eating those for months later in the year! Toms are not quite ready yet so I've lost my annual race with dad as he's been eating his now for a couple of weeks.
Old 30-07-21, 09:07 PM   #164
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Carrots this year I planted in two full sized enamel baths filled with a 60/40 mix of soil and builders sand. Growing them in the baths has meant no carrot fly as they are too high up for the fly to reach. The sieved soil/sand mix has resulted in lovely long tapering carrots with no misshapes. I'm pulling baby carrots as thinnings now and they are beautifully sweet and crunchy.
Old 31-07-21, 02:35 PM   #165
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

I can just imagine the looks I'd get from the neighbours if I started bringing old baths home from skip raids and growing things in them
Old 31-07-21, 08:54 PM   #166
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
I can just imagine the looks I'd get from the neighbours if I started bringing old baths home from skip raids and growing things in them
Ha ha! That would probably be one of the incentives for me!
Old 01-08-21, 12:19 PM   #167
redtrummy

I find Arran Pilot seem to cope with the slugs well. Left some last year in the ground until September - all ok.
I have grown carrots in a dustbin the last few years - not a large crop but a good taster (as I tell a friend that must feed his ground steroids) Shallots I left in the no dig bed really good. Those in the garden crap.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-21, 04:49 PM   #168
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Not sure what variety of spuds we have here beyond being one lot of 2nd earlies and one lot of mains.

Just lifted and dug out the first 3 plants of 2nd earlies. Tonight I shall mostly be eating potatoes!
Old 04-08-21, 08:56 PM   #169
Seeker
Mega Poster

I think my hawthorn tree is sick Some of the leaves are turning brown, others are curling and they feel dry. I'm going to take a couple of cuttings to the garden centre (in a sealed bag) from where I bought it for suggestions.
I planted it last year and it produced nice blossom this spring but I've since discovered that they are prone to various insect infestations (couldn't see anything on the leaves) and a fungus.
Old 05-08-21, 07:12 AM   #170
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Fingers crossed for you. Hawthorn hedging is pretty hardy so hopefully this is just your tree settling in and getting used to your soil and watering.