SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-01-23, 07:32 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default SV in traffic light GP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ9FlON7EtU&t=6s

drag race against Transit, Toyota GT86 (?), BMW M2, 911.

(BikeWorld video)
Old 26-01-23, 09:43 AM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: SV in traffic light GP

Interesting video, that. The US bike mags usually get SVs to do a standing quarter in around 12 seconds flat, with a terminal speed of around 105mph, although that's usually at proper dragstrips that have super-sticky surfaces for traction off the line.

Fun fact: back in the day, the Kawa Z1 900 did the quarter mile in 12.5 seconds at around 102mph, and that was the baddest, fastest production bike that money could buy for several years. Yet nowadays, the SV has the same performance and is regarded as a 'good beginner's bike.'

The vid also highlights the difference between a powerful 2wd and 4wd car when launching. The BMW actually has more power than the 911 but even using BMW's built-in launch control, it just can't leave the line as quickly as the 911 Carrera 4.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-23, 11:15 AM   #3
garynortheast
Mega Poster

That was a good fun vid. Enjoyed watching that. Great bikes.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-23, 12:26 PM   #4
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Like that blue frame. My SV cross-country could easily keep up with more exotic machinery, but impressive on the drag race. I find drag races to be meaningless though, unless its a top-fuel race and your internal organs are being pulverised by the noise!
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-23, 12:34 PM   #5
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
I find drag races to be meaningless though, unless its a top-fuel race and your internal organs are being pulverised by the noise!
I always found it mind-boggling that a top-fuel bike's engine will only complete around 1,300 crankshaft revolutions from the green light to the end of the quarter-mile. And will probably need a complete rebuild after 3 or 4 passes.
Old 26-01-23, 06:04 PM   #6
suzuvee

Saw this vid a few days ago and was amazed that the SV beat the Beemer!! I know traction is an issue but with over 400 brake I thought it would catch the SV easily!
Very impressed with the SV's performance! I'm actually in the process of finding one ATM, and I was thinking about it's numbers. Back in the day, my first proper, big bike, was a 1979 Ducati 900SS. The full fat version with Conti's, 40MM Dellorto's, goldline Brembo's etc, most here probably won't know what all that means! At the time I thought that was a beast, but it actually produced less power than the SV!! SS's were about 65-70 BHP! So here we are 43 years later and a beginners bike is more powerful than what was one of the fastest bikes in it's day, more civilised, more reliable, and easier to ride!! Time eh!!
suzuvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-23, 06:54 PM   #7
Craig380
Mega Poster

Sports Motorcycles (who put Mike Hailwood's TT-winning Duke together for him) was based just a few miles from where I live. In the 90s they used to have a green-frame silver 750SS in their window. Many's the time I used to stop and drool over it. The 900SS is still a beauty too, what a bike to have as your first big machine! I'm jealous
Old 27-01-23, 09:03 PM   #8
suzuvee

I have some stories about the things you've mentioned!!

I dropped my SS returning from the Bol'Dor in 1983, I was fine apart from severe bruising and the bike was moderately damaged but continued the journey and made it another 500 miles home! Back home I put in the insurance claim and ended up doing a deal with the claims assessor to buy it back as salvage plus payment for the damage! I rebuilt it as an NCR replica, mainly cosmetic as my budget was tight! But I made some parts myself and had a superb paint job done. I also reset all the valve clearances, which on a Desmo of that era was not easy, in fact, all my mates said it would end in tears as it was a job for an expert! Sod that, at the price they wanted! One weekend of careful work later and it was job done, and the engine ran better than ever, idled like a clock and responded instantly to the throttle!
So, my goal was to get the build finished in time to go to the Italian Motorcycle owners club meet at Scarborough that year. When I arrived I was asked if I was entered in the concourse, I wasn't but they persuaded me to! It was entered in the best special Ducati category. Amazingly it won! And the award was presented by Steve Wynne of Sports Motorcycles! I was gobsmacked! He personally congratulated me on the standard of work and they way it looked! Bu66er me if I didn't sell it shortly afterwards to buy a bl00dy Honda, albeit a CB1100RC! I have deeply regretted that decision ever since!

On to round case 750SS's!! Around 1988 I was buying Ducati's like a mad thing and did a lot of deals with Moto Vecchia in Dorking. One day I had a call to say they had a couple of very special Ducati's that I should go and see. They were, very special! A 1975 750 Sport, one owner from new, 5000 miles, looked like new and was totally original with reams of history, and, a 1974 750SS green frame round case, same deal same original owner. Almost without hesitation I did a deal for both, £5k for the S and £8k for the SS!!!! It was ALOT of money back then, and I felt really extravagant about spending so much. Over the weekend the guilt got to me and I phoned on Monday to cancel the SS!!! WTF did I do that??!! Why not cancel the S and keep the SS???!!! Hindsight is a wonderful thing! I do still have the S though, beautiful machine, will never sell it. But that SS would be worth about £100K now!!
Old 28-01-23, 09:43 AM   #9
Craig380
Mega Poster

Great stuff, getting the award from Steve W must have made you very proud!

And yes, £8K for a 750SS was a lot at the time, but there's one currently for sale at £135,000 ....

With your experience of Dukes I think you'll take to the SV like a duck to water. Obviously, the SV won't have quite the same 'grunt' as your 900, but the SV engine has real soul and has instant throttle response in any gear at any speed. It can put 100+ on the speedo in no time at all, using just half throttle. Being short and slim, it's also very chuckable without being nervous. And it will average 70-odd to the gallon.

In terms of tyres, I use Avon Storm 3D and get 15,000 out of a rear, and 20,000 from a front. Still on the factory brake pads at 45,000. Replaced the chain & sprockets at 44,000. These are cheap bikes to run too.
Old 28-01-23, 02:21 PM   #10
suzuvee

I was more surprised than proud at the time but looking back now I cherish the memory and realise my achievement, given my very limited facilities and tools, basically a corner of my dad's garage, an electric drill and a few hand tools.
The more I read and watch about the SV the more it's apparent how much of a sleeper this bike is! It's like the ultimate universal Japanese motorcycle but with character and real world ability. It just wasn't on my radar though until I saw the 44 teeth crew racing one and hearing that guy at JHS racing talk about them.
And it seems to be a global thing, the Americans just love them!!
I'm a little concerned that it may put my MV Brutale's nose out of joint! I love that bike but maybe the SV will start hogging my riding time!!
Initially I was going to buy a cheap SV for wet weather and some winter riding but I've found myself taking it more seriously now I see the enthusiasm there is for it from so many riders. Who knows, I might have to have the one I've just bought for best and a cheapy for poor weather!!