SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 09-02-12, 10:41 PM   #1
aliwakeskate

Default Question for Org Plumbers

Hi,

Thought I'd pose a question for the mighty org...

I'm fitting a new sink and taps for my mum in her upstairs bathroom and am wondering what pressure rating taps I should get.

The cold water feeder tank is in the loft (I think) and the hot water tank is in the room next to the bathroom. She wants one of these single mixer taps and I've been looking at the pressure ratings. On the more fancy ones they are 0.5 bar but that might not work as someone told me that there is an approx measure of 0.1 bar per 1m so with the feeder tank in the loft about 2m away I was thinking that I need to get a mixer tap rated at 0.2 bar or lower.

Does that sound about right? Or would I get away with one rated at 0.5 bar (there are no pumps in the system anywhere and I'm not planning on fitting one). Also been looking at high street shops and they seem quite pricey comared to online, so has anyone used an online plumbing/bathroom shop they'd recommend?

Cheers,
Old 09-02-12, 11:20 PM   #2
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Default Re: Question for Org Plumbers

Gonna watch this as our cold feeder is in the loft & hot tank at the top of the stairs, with mixer tap in bathroom on ground level = bit tricky getting hot & cold mix just right for showering due to the 2 different pressures. Icey cold for about 65% of mixer tap rotation, 30% screaming hot and then 3% just right with 1% slightly too hot & 1% slightly too cold..

Ps that grumpy guy specialmong might know

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-12, 12:21 AM   #3
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwakeskate View Post
Hi,

Thought I'd pose a question for the mighty org...

I'm fitting a new sink and taps for my mum in her upstairs bathroom and am wondering what pressure rating taps I should get.

The cold water feeder tank is in the loft (I think) and the hot water tank is in the room next to the bathroom. She wants one of these single mixer taps and I've been looking at the pressure ratings. On the more fancy ones they are 0.5 bar but that might not work as someone told me that there is an approx measure of 0.1 bar per 1m so with the feeder tank in the loft about 2m away I was thinking that I need to get a mixer tap rated at 0.2 bar or lower.

Does that sound about right? Or would I get away with one rated at 0.5 bar (there are no pumps in the system anywhere and I'm not planning on fitting one). Also been looking at high street shops and they seem quite pricey comared to online, so has anyone used an online plumbing/bathroom shop they'd recommend?

Cheers,

Al, obviously if you get a lower pressure rated mixer then theres a chance it will work better, but i wouldnt worry too much, i havent yet fitted one one on any system where it hasnt been adequate.

I suspect if youve got a gravity fed system with a loft mounted cold header tank then the pressure should be ok.
By eye, does it look painfully weak? cos generally you can tell by looking at it if its gonna be crap.
Old 10-02-12, 12:31 AM   #4
aliwakeskate

Phil, doesn't really look weak to be honest. Fairly standard. Looks like I'll be able to get away with one of the fancy 0.5 bar mixer taps then. My old dear will be happy! Cheers for that mate.

btw, know anywhere cheaper than b&q or wicks for taps in the brum area? I'd rather go to a shop than get taps online and b&q are a rip off. Couple of local plumbing supplies to me in south brum, but they don't have much in stock.
Old 10-02-12, 12:35 AM   #5
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwakeskate View Post
Phil, doesn't really look weak to be honest. Fairly standard. Looks like I'll be able to get away with one of the fancy 0.5 bar mixer taps then. My old dear will be happy! Cheers for that mate.

btw, know anywhere cheaper than b&q or wicks for taps in the brum area? I'd rather go to a shop than get taps online and b&q are a rip off. Couple of local plumbing supplies to me in south brum, but they don't have much in stock.
I cant stress this enough, dont buy from B&Q or wickes, way too cheaply made and expensive to buy.

If you dont wanna buy online then screwfix trade counter is your best best then mate, ive fitted tons of taps from screwfix and they are decent to be fair.

I normally junk the pop up wastes btw and fit a push clicky one instead.
Old 10-02-12, 08:01 PM   #6
Bluefish

you could try James Hargreaves or Plumb Center, JH is the better of those options.
Old 20-02-12, 10:36 PM   #7
aliwakeskate

Update:

Cheers Mr Specialone . Got the mixer tap (ditched the pop up waste for a different one) from screwfix rated at 0.5bar and above and it worked with the gravity feed set up no problem. The cold feed had more pressure that the hot feed, so I tweaked the isiolation valve to match pressures a little bit.

job done
Old 20-02-12, 10:52 PM   #8
Specialone

Cool

Technically, isolation valves don't lower pressure, just reduce flow, don't be surprised if it moves the ball inside over time, ive seen them close up almost completely.