SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-11-09, 10:26 PM   #21
madness

Default Re: Go away John Smeaton "OR AL SET ABOOT YE"

Ain't it frustrating when people misunderstand what you're trying to say!
Old 05-11-09, 10:28 PM   #22
Milky Bar Kid

I didn't misunderstand you, I just didn't think your comparisons were could ones.
Old 05-11-09, 10:36 PM   #23
Bluefish

I was not commenting on the joke, i have no problem with jokes if they are jokes, it was only mbk's flippant comment that as it was 60ish years ago it was past forget it, get over it, i guess there is a differance between the people that provide that freedom with their lives, and those that live with the freedom provided by said others, but would not be willing to make the same sacrafice, but forget it it was ages ago.
Old 05-11-09, 10:40 PM   #24
Milky Bar Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefishman View Post
I was not commenting on the joke, i have no problem with jokes if they are jokes, it was only mbk's flippant comment that as it was 60ish years ago it was past forget it, get over it, i guess there is a differance between the people that provide that freedom with their lives, and those that live with the freedom provided by said others, but would not be willing to make the same sacrafice, but forget it it was ages ago.
Not what I was meaning at all. I was meaning, how can we joke about Twin Towers, Afganistan etc etc without SMEATO getting his knickers in a twist but the minute someone mentions Anne Frank, a victim of a war 60 years ago, he loses it and puts a big rant in the paper?
Old 05-11-09, 10:52 PM   #25
Bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Bar Kid View Post
Not what I was meaning at all. I was meaning, how can we joke about Twin Towers, Afganistan etc etc without SMEATO getting his knickers in a twist but the minute someone mentions Anne Frank, a victim of a war 60 years ago, he loses it and puts a big rant in the paper?
sure mbk agree with that, was only the one line i disliked, as an ex service man these things come back to haunt you, still peace and love, peace and love, more love though than peace though.
Old 05-11-09, 10:53 PM   #26
Philbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefishman View Post

I was reading your post and thinking. No, these major past events shouldn't be forgotten, but then I couldn't help thinking how much better life would be in the west of Scotland and Ireland if people would forget about, and get over, war and battles that are now hundreds of years old...

( I'm going to get it now...)
Old 05-11-09, 10:55 PM   #27
Bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo View Post

LOL
Old 05-11-09, 11:39 PM   #28
Milky Bar Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo View Post
I was reading your post and thinking. No, these major past events shouldn't be forgotten, but then I couldn't help thinking how much better life would be in the west of Scotland and Ireland if people would forget about, and get over, war and battles that are now hundreds of years old...

hmm, I think, IMHO, that the N.I situation has now been diluted. I don't mean diluted a in its not as bad as it was, I mean diluted as in, the cause behind the fight has been diluted. It seems to have just become more of a reason to fight than anything else.

There was a very real cause bhind the original fighting in Ireland but now it has developed into a "catholic" vs "Protestant" thing. Just my opinion, if I am wrong, please, correct me!
Old 06-11-09, 08:58 AM   #29
Philbo

In Glasgow at least it seems more of an inbred attitude, rather than any emotions built on an understanding of the facts and any real sense of loss or pain. The more modern problem in N.I., the yearly marches, and the "root" causes of the whole catholic/protestant problems go way back to 1688.

P.S. It's always been about Catholics VS Protestants... Another reason you've gota love religion.

Last edited by Philbo; 06-11-09 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-11-09, 09:36 AM   #30
Milky Bar Kid

Hmmm, I think if you look a bit deeper into it, there are other roots behind it, not just the catholic protestant things.

Anyway, this is derailing the thread.