SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SELKENT A forum for the folks down in Kent and SE London.

Old 14-11-09, 04:30 PM   #1
2hys

Default mechanical help?

does anyone know how to change cam chains check valve cleances and balance throtle bodies?
i can dismantle and rebuild my bike, change oil filter and plugs but when it comes to the internel workings of the engine my confedence goes out the window

my bike has started running hot and the manual says carbs out of balance oil and water are fine! plus its being very rattley so want to change the change the chains two, i just need someone to show me how to go about some major servicing as i dis like garages working on my bike

my bike is a k3 pointy and is used everyday in all weathers right through the winter
Old 14-11-09, 05:17 PM   #2
shifter

Default Re: mechanical help?

I think it's very unlikely you have a problem with the cam chains, it's more likely to be be the tensioners, they are a comon problem on the sv.
As for the hot running, have you checked your rad is clean an that the thermostat is doing its thing and that the fan is kicking in correctly?
Old 14-11-09, 05:36 PM   #3
2hys

rads fine, thermostat comes on at 103c through the summer the bike was running at 70 - 80c now its colder its running at 85 - 100c WTF
Old 14-11-09, 07:56 PM   #4
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Have you checked the coolant level? (sorry, I know that sounds obvious) Also might be worth reverse flushing the system with a hose in case there's a blockage somewhere.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-09, 08:43 PM   #5
2hys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Have you checked the coolant level? (sorry, I know that sounds obvious) Also might be worth reverse flushing the system with a hose in case there's a blockage somewhere.
system was flushed out at the begining of summer and replaced with fresh antifreeze/water, all levels are fine oil and filter wer changed 2 months ago again levele are all good and no water/mayo in the oil,
Old 15-11-09, 11:05 AM   #6
shifter

I'd have a feel round all the collant houses with the bike up to temprature and see if you can find any that are cooler than others, it might give you a clue as to a where the problem is, if it is a blockage.
When you changed the coolant did you bleed the air out of the system?