SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-06-08, 10:14 AM   #1
G
Mega Poster

Default IOM Road accidents

After reading the sad post in the Border Patrol Forum and looking at the related article on the BBC website. To the right of the article there was lots of other IOM related news, and from what I could make out at least 4 people were sadly killed riding on the Island during TT week and many many more serious accidents.

Is that normally the case or has it been a bad year on the island for it?

I dont know much about the weeks social side/ non race times....I just watch the racing on the TV.
Old 09-06-08, 10:30 AM   #2
plowsie

Default Re: IOM Road accidents

In a cold hearted way mate its quite often that someone dies I think. The year I was there, I think 3 died and one marshall. The marshall was trying to aid another rider in the road, the next to come round the corner had nowhere to go.

Its a risk a lot are willing to take and to me even though the Valentino Rossi's and Dani Pedrosa's of the world are the fastest on track, these guys have the most skill and balls to be able to do the road races.
Old 09-06-08, 11:16 AM   #3
G
Mega Poster

I dont mean actual riders racing though......just members of public riding their own bikes on the route.
Old 09-06-08, 01:27 PM   #4
Gazza77

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
I dont mean actual riders racing though......just members of public riding their own bikes on the route.
This year seems to have been the worst for a year or two for RTAs. The local plod reckon it is generally due to people riding to close together at speed, one loses control and so do those following them, or if not, they can't stop and hit the first bike. Or just the foreigners forgetting which side to ride on.

Having seen first hand some of the riding this year (and this is no judgement on any specific accident, as I didn't witness any first hand), I can well believe that to be the case.

Then Triumph Sprint ST with scottoiler and R&Gs & TOR exhaust

Now Benelli Tornado

Last edited by Gazza77; 09-06-08 at 01:30 PM.
Gazza77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-08, 02:39 PM   #5
maultin

I was on the IOM from may 31st to june 6th. in that time there were 5 fatal that i heard of.

A french chap forgot the correct side of the road & hit an oncoming people carrier (no news on the occupants, so presumed survived)
2 germans ran into the back of a parked (empty) police car, both killed. thats gonna come back to haunt someone
2 unidentified foriegn riders punted each other off the mountain just around Dukes 32.

on top of that there was a fatal car accident between Brandish & Hillberry (at least 1 fatality)

apart from that, there were loads of very bad non-fatal accidents, including a guy who put himself into a tree at over 100mph near Ballaugh, trying to get a photo of himself with his front whell in the air. broke both arms & legs, all his ribs, very bad internal injuries. still alive when i was leaving on friday night (i was sat next to his mate on the ferry)

sad news every year, Alan
Old 09-06-08, 04:02 PM   #6
Iansv II

Police stats

Police open roads incident statistics for TTs

Fatal 4
Serious 18
Slight 17
Damage 41
Total 80

Fatal 1
Serious 31
Slight 49
Damage 35
Total 116

Fatal 0
Serious 24
Slight 24
Damage 33
Animal 2
Total 83
Old 09-06-08, 04:20 PM   #7
maultin

where did you get the stats from Iansv II?
they are really good.

interesting that they show 4 fatal at TT08, when i heard there were 5

Alan
Old 09-06-08, 05:43 PM   #8
Gazza77

Quote:
Originally Posted by maultin View Post
I was on the IOM from may 31st to june 6th. in that time there were 5 fatal that i heard of.

A french chap forgot the correct side of the road & hit an oncoming people carrier (no news on the occupants, so presumed survived)
2 germans ran into the back of a parked (empty) police car, both killed. thats gonna come back to haunt someone
2 unidentified foriegn riders punted each other off the mountain just around Dukes 32.

on top of that there was a fatal car accident between Brandish & Hillberry (at least 1 fatality)

apart from that, there were loads of very bad non-fatal accidents, including a guy who put himself into a tree at over 100mph near Ballaugh, trying to get a photo of himself with his front whell in the air. broke both arms & legs, all his ribs, very bad internal injuries. still alive when i was leaving on friday night (i was sat next to his mate on the ferry)

sad news every year, Alan
If the 2 dead you refer to hitting the police car was the incident at Alpine (just before Ballaugh) then only one was killed, and they were from Lincolnshire. The other was badly injured, but I understand is now out of ICU.

The French guy took the racing line at I recall it being Handleys, that was why he was on the wrong side of the road. No serious injury to the guy in a LandRover he hit.

A Danish guy hit a car when he ran wide on a corner near Jurby and was killed.

A guy was killed in an incident near 32nd, the other was seriously injured. The dead rider was a UK resident, don't know about the other.

Those are the only four I'd heard of that were fatalities.

Then Triumph Sprint ST with scottoiler and R&Gs & TOR exhaust

Now Benelli Tornado
Gazza77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-08, 05:55 PM   #9
maultin

Gazza77, you have much better contacts than I do. Just shows you how rumours get around. I suppose someone just presumed they were all foreign (possibly easier to stomach).

slightly better that only 4 died, but still 4 too many.

did you hear about the guy just passed Ballaugh, who hit a tree? Any news on how he is doing? He is the guy whose mate I was sat next to on the ferry back to Heysham. apparently he wanted to get a photo/video of him on the back wheel as he went over a hump in the road. Got himself into a tank slapper & lost control. The accident was Thursday (am).

Alan
Old 09-06-08, 07:57 PM   #10
derbybiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by maultin View Post
where did you get the stats from Iansv II?
could be this report: -

>>> linky <<<