SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-12-10, 08:34 PM   #1
2000curvy

Default Stuck Choke Plunger

Hi,
I would be grateful for any advice as to how to remove a completely seized front choke plunger. I have checked on these pages but have yet to find a thread where a plunger will not come out at all.
I have disconnected the choke cable from the lever end which has given me a little more space to play with.
I have removed the front choke screw and can pull the cable a couple of mm away from the carb. I can see rust between the spring and the plunger. I have tried copious amounts of WD40 (before I saw the post about using Plus Gas tonight) but it still refuses to budge.
I will try to get some Plus Gas tomorrow but in the meantime does anyone have any ideas as to what to try next?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Nick
2000curvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-10, 08:52 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Stuck Choke Plunger

If you've got the screw undone you've done well so far, that in my experience was the hardest part.

My plungers were pretty stuck and I ended up using a pair of long nose plier's to grab hold the end of the plunger and that gave me enough purchase to pull it out.

I did end up taking my carbs off my bike in order to get enough space to work on it etc etc. So you might find it easier in the long run to do that ( assuming you havent already )

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-10, 09:11 PM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

A little gentle heating works wonders.

Don't overdo it.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-10, 09:32 PM   #4
2000curvy

Fizzwheel and Sid Squid
Thank You very much for your swift replies. This definitely counts as your good deed for the day!!
I went straight out and can now happily confirm the plunger is out. It was even more stubborn than my wife can be though.
Unfortunately the spring and choke cable didn’t survive my act of hamfistedness, although they were seriously rusty because of the water damage so I would have had to replace them anyway.
So (ahem) Does anyone know the best place to get a spring and choke cable?
Thanks again both of you
Nick
Old 13-12-10, 09:39 PM   #5
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I got my replacements from my local Suzuki dealer.

Tip - when you fit the new choke cable, pack the splitter box, where the single cable splits off into two ( one for front and one for rear carb ) with grease, it'll stop the water running down the cable and into the plungers which is what causes some of the corrosion in the first place.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-10, 11:00 PM   #6
2000curvy

Nice one Fizzwheel, Thanks Mate
Old 14-12-10, 02:56 PM   #7
Owenski

2nd tip,
where the cables come out of the splitter, cable tie them together otherwise when they flex they'll snap off the flimsey POS plastic collars.
Old 14-12-10, 04:30 PM   #8
sloppy joe

3rd tip, when putting plunger onto cable/spring, make sure you have a good hold of the spring when you are compressing it, they can fly a suprising distance if you don't.
Old 14-12-10, 06:58 PM   #9
2000curvy

Owenski & Sloppy Joe, Thanks very much for tips 2 & 3!!
For info, I was able to clean around the outside of the stuck plunger and had sufficient space to put a flat screwdriver into the slot which the cable fits into. With a bit of moving it clockwise and anti clockwise it freed up and it came out.
I hope this helps anyone else with the same problem