SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-12-07, 11:28 PM   #1
ferret

Default Crash Mushrooms

trying to decide on what to purchase.. was looking at the Motrax DTM ones (as on intobikes website.) but then ive also seen the evotech ones

http://www.evotech-performance.com/a..._no_drill.html

has anyone got any useful information or suggestions regarding these ?

I know that people seem to recommend the R&G ones but to be honest my budget is a bit tight at the moment due to the time of year, but i do want to get something one the SV just in case.

Old 06-12-07, 01:38 AM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Re: Crash Mushrooms

Personally I'd recommend Motosliders, they're a US company but Nate will ship to the UK, and the price is good ($96 for the basic kit, or around £50). GSG Moko are also very good but can be expensive. Both need fairing modifications if you use the lowers though. I wouldn't put R&G on the SV again, they're too expensive and they're too weak. The design's good but the bolt in the outer bung is just an M10, too bendy for the application.

DHMs, I had those and they were utter mince but Motrax did say the design would be changed when I returned them (there was a point where the whole RHS bung was held on with just 6mm of thread in an ally spacer, hopeless). It's still a bad place to mount a crash bung on the SV though, the mounting point is narrow so the bungs have to be long and you're threading into the casing so if the bolt pulls out or snaps, it's bad juju. There's better out there.

I don't know Evotech I'm afraid, they do look nice though.

Motoslider after 30mph lowside:

R&G after 30mph lowside

Speaks for itself IMO. Not untypical, either. THe R&Gs also have a habit of coming off entirely. You don't want a bung to be too solid of course, and it's always a balancing act, but IMO they clearly got it wrong. Even many of the people who'll recommend R&Gs had the bungs fail- bend dramatically or come out. They do prevent some damage in these cases but not as much as a better bung would.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-07, 02:01 AM   #3
ferret

thanks for the feedback... I was leaning towards the evotech ones purely because of the way it appears to fit to the frame. At least the bung is not relying on the actual frame bolts to secure it in place and if they go down they look like the damage would be contained to the bracket and mounting bolt as opposed to the bike bolts ( if that makes any sense at this time of the morning )

might have a punt with those, as if im not satisfied when they turn up ill send 'em back....

once again thanks for the "tested" review
Old 06-12-07, 10:31 AM   #4
Dangerous Dave

I'd have to agree with northwind, the motoslider crash bungs are the ones to get, just like northwinds pic below! I have seen a couple of bent R&G ones now, and have to say I wouldn't use them.

I

I wouldn't recommend the type that fit to the front cylinder mount either, too weak and will bend or snap even quicker than R&G

So will the rear cylinder mounted ones too....

From an engineering/strength view only the main frame mount should be used, from a marketing view its all about easy fitment and for that you would go for the lower quality cylinder mount ones (which are virtually all of them)

Go with the Motosliders or a JHS Racing set as they use the same mounting point. www.motosliders.com or www.jhsracing.co.uk

Last edited by Dangerous Dave; 06-12-07 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-12-07, 10:45 AM   #5
ELR4ever

Motosliders stick out a fair bit farther than most other ones I've seen too. FWIW
Old 06-12-07, 01:15 PM   #6
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR4ever View Post
Motosliders stick out a fair bit farther than most other ones I've seen too. FWIW
Have to agree with that too!!! Just think of it like this, the main engine mount (where motosliders & JHS mount) is a solid part of the frame. Where the cheaper alternative mount to the cylinder bolts is on to a welded bracket, and using a smaller bolt!

The JHS and Motosliders use one bolt that passes through the engine mount and is held in with nuts/bolts on either side.

Old 06-12-07, 01:35 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

The old JHS ones were something else, if they were still available that's what I'd have...
Old 06-12-07, 09:55 PM   #8
ferret

the motosliders are only 48 quid with shipping which still works out cheaper than most of the companies over here before they add thair shipping costs.......

i think the decision is made. Thanks guys.
Old 08-12-07, 03:18 PM   #9
maultin

I emailled Evotech to ask about thier bobbins for my '99 curvy.
The bobbins they make are for '03 onwards.

I also contacted motosliders in USA about where to get thier sliders in UK, but no answer yet.

Does anyone know where to get motoslider bobbins in UK?

Alan
Old 08-12-07, 04:26 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

Bikejohnny were selling what was blatantly an exact ripoff of the Motosliders, think they were called Motovation? But I just got mine straight from the states, it was pretty easy. Quick, too. Ask first to make sure he has stock though.

Ooh! If anyone's ordering bits from Motosliders, let me know, I need a swingarm bobbin and maybe a spare RHS bung too so we can maybe combine postage and save a little.