SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-06-06, 04:29 PM   #1
goof

Default Any QUICK way of getting brake pistons to retract?

On my first attempt at cleaning my calipers out last week (before new pads arrived) I popped the right side out a little far and the seals were sticking out around the edges (though the pistons were still in). After cleaning and a lot of wrestling I managed to get them back in (not flush, not sure if they're supposed to be, but mine still stuck out about 5mm). This sufficed ok with my old pads for the week.

New pads arrived today but on inserting them I realised the combination of pistons still not retracting and extra 'meat' on the pads mean they're really binding - could barely get them on. Looks like I'll have to get new seals and do a bleed on them but is there any way to quickly free them just now as I wanted to use it tonight? Unfortunately I buggered the old pads so that's not an option!
Old 24-06-06, 04:37 PM   #2
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

That's probably just the dust seal (you would hope ). Grab hold of them with some needle nosed pliers and pull them out. Then push the pistons back into the caliper. You will be able to ride the bike, but this should be considered a short term fix. Get new seals fitted a.s.a.p. otherwise you will find that all the road crap and brake dust will foul the pistons.

Just a point: You do this at your own risk. Brakes are safety critical. You shouldn't really muck about with them.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-06, 04:41 PM   #3
goof

Thanks Scoobs, yeah, I know, usual disclaimers apply
Old 24-06-06, 04:45 PM   #4
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof
Thanks Scoobs, yeah, I know, usual disclaimers apply
Good lad!

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-06, 05:53 PM   #5
goof

Bah, got the dust seals but the upper caliper still doesn't want to retract - why would that be the case?

There was a bit of salty crud behind each of the seals so I got a tooth brush with parasene in there.
Old 24-06-06, 05:55 PM   #6
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

The piston has a ring of crap/corrosion etc around it. Don't force it any further back or the seal will be duffed for cetain.

Time for a proper fix - don't take any short cuts here.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-06, 06:04 PM   #7
goof

Thanks Sid - I was assuming the brake seals are already gubbed though
(the dust seals are definitely done and have been removed).

I will be sorting this for good was just hoping to use the bike tonight
Old 24-06-06, 06:07 PM   #8
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Well I'd be certain to replace them, but obviously I'm not there and you are, so you'll need to make an estimation of what's good and what's not, but if you have any doubts about any parts, or for that matter about your ability to know one way or the other, don't.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-06, 07:10 PM   #9
goof

Hi Sid,

It's a no go anyway, just wanted to see if I could get them operational for a one-off run to my mates tonight.

Realised that it's not exactly the brakes binding anyway - the extra meat on the outer side pad means that the disc is actually touching two black strips that stick out from the caliper housing. Will get pics up tomorrow.