SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-09-07, 09:42 PM   #1
lukewalton

Default Bought first bike!

Hi guys! Passed my test in bristol (second attempt) and have just bought an '04 naked SV650! Love it! Private sale, mint. But....I have a few questions.

1) It has come with an arrow full titanium race system (sounds so so so good im in love) (the old one is supplied also but will not be putting that back on!!). I asked him if it has been re mapped and he said no, no need because it is fuel injected. Is this true? I don't want to trash the engine. If it does need re mapping is this an urgent job? Also, are the popping noises and burbling sounds in low revs normal? (They sound so cool!!).

2) What are MOT centres like regarding loud exhausts? Is it necessary to fit the old system? (An expensive job I understand). The insurance company (H&R) said it didn't matter that it's not road legal with regards to insurance, which was a relief.

3) It has what appears to be a kevlar tank protector stuck to it, but it is fraying and tatty. Anyone know a good way of removing it, and the glue, without damaging the paint?

Thanks for any advice, I'll try and get some pictures up of it, it looks lovely, the exhaust makes it!

Luke
Old 13-09-07, 10:19 PM   #2
ThEGr33k

Default Re: Bought first bike!

1) You can usually get away with that much without touching the fueling yes. There are built in tolerances.

2) MOT centre depends on how dodgy they are But id guess it might provide a hurdle! Im guessing there is no insert to make it quieter?

3) not entirly sure what you mean, post a pic?
Old 13-09-07, 10:22 PM   #3
I'm_a_Newbie

A hair dryer will help you remove the tank protector by softening the glue and the plastic. Go easy though as it will also soften the paint on the tank if you use too much heat.

Use lighter fluid or meths to remove any residual glue. This will leave the tank clean to fit another protector.

Tim.
Old 14-09-07, 08:51 AM   #4
ASM-Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
1) You can usually get away with that much without touching the fueling yes. There are built in tolerances.
Its a full system and a race one at that....IMHO it may well need a remap!
Old 14-09-07, 10:47 AM   #5
jambo
Mega Poster

1) If it's a full system (not just an exhaust can and link pipe attached to the old headers) I'd be tempted to re-map. The Fuel Injection on the SV is not particularly advanced and won't alter the fuelling to stop the engine running lean like some more advanced systems fitted to cars could.

2) As stated above, sometimes you can fit a baffle in the can to quieten it down a bit at MOT time. If it has "Not for road use" written on it you'll have to change it anyway.

3) As stated, time to get the hair dryer out. Fit another one to stop zips and seams marking the paint.
Old 14-09-07, 05:00 PM   #6
lukewalton

Thanks for the advice guys. So is the re map urgent, i.e. if I leave it a month or two will I end up with a damaged engine? How much would it cost roughly?
Old 14-09-07, 05:31 PM   #7
lukewalton

Hey - also, just checked the can and there are no "not for road use" markings on it which is nice. No sign of filing it off either. There is no stamp at all on the can. It does not come with a baffle though. I've been tipped by some people that if I show that I own the full original system come MOT, they will most likely wave it (if they have any sense).