SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-07-12, 10:52 AM   #21
MisterTommyH

Default Re: Question for people with kids....

And the winner is..... Fruity.

Once I got that idea in my head I couldn't get rid of it. Cheers.

MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-14, 01:34 PM   #22
MisterTommyH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTommyH View Post
What childrens books would make a suitable 'collectable' gift for a boy?

A bit it background..... I brought my mates daughter a boxed embossed 'Winnie the Pooh' collection for her Christening a few years back..... and it has gone down very well, both with the parents at the time and with her as she has got a bit older.

Fast forward a few years and now they have a son, and I'm to be god father. I want to keep the theme going, but want something a bit more ermm boyish. I've thought about a Narnia box set (either as an anthology or 7 seperate hard cover books in a box).... I'm 90% certain that's a bit more suitable, but I haven't got kids and it's been a long time since I was one.

Other thoughts are Lord of the Rings, but that seems a bit too much of an older childs book due to the language and themes.

Any other suggestions would be welcome...... And if you can point me in the direction of a good collectors type book it would help (Waterstones etc are really crap with this kind of thing).

Oh, and I'm kind of looking at a cross between something that will be on the shelf forever as a momento of the day, but also be used.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruity-ya-ya View Post
Jungle book. 1st edition?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTommyH View Post
And the winner is..... Fruity.

Once I got that idea in my head I couldn't get rid of it. Cheers.

*Thread resurrection alert*

I'm now looking for something similar for another christening (1 boy, 1 girl)

I like the idea of first or early edition books, but don't want to just get the same ones.

Ideas please.......
MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-14, 05:50 PM   #23
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Annual subscription to Playboy. That way you'll be a popular God-Father through his most formative years......and even his dad will appreciate you!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-14, 10:51 PM   #24
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I loved Alan Garner's The Weirdstone Of Brisingamen when I was a child. A bit Tolkein ish but easier to get into. For the boy, a copy of Wisden from the year he is born makes a quirky gift to look back at in later years, especially if you can get it signed by some of the Players of the Year, that makes it a real treasure if he then ends up liking cricket. If not it's a rubbish present and you can ignore that suggestion!