SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-04-22, 06:12 AM   #11
Chris_SVS

Default Re: Tail Bag Recommendations?

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/278777

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/279243

The bottom one was awesome when I was commuting as I took everything on a monday in it, and brought minimal stuff home in the smaller one
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-22, 05:08 PM   #12
johnnyleitrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
Have you thought of an Oxford tail pack ?
I've bought a lot of oxford items in the past (mainly bicycle stuff); some have be great and others have been poor. Do you have an oxford tail pack that you would recommend?
johnnyleitrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-22, 05:54 PM   #13
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Know what you mean. I looked at one at Infinity m/cs the other day, a bit more like a holdall that sits across the seat, but it's mainly held on by a strap that goes under the pillion seat so a bit of a faff, plus some tie-downs. My panniers on the other hand have a piece that first to the seat and you leave it there, clips the bags on and off, much easier - pity they won't fit on my new bike hence the search for an alternative.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-22, 09:19 PM   #14
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyleitrim View Post
I've bought a lot of oxford items in the past (mainly bicycle stuff); some have be great and others have been poor. Do you have an oxford tail pack that you would recommend?
I have a black canvas type Oxford tail pack I want to sell , I haven't used it on the sv650, in fact hardly used on any bike because I went for rack and top box on my bikes, it has velcro strap that goes under seat, don't know how that suits what is under seat, and bungee hooks to tie down to rear footrest hangers.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-22, 07:21 AM   #15
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Bung it in the For Sale section, winter is nearly over after all!
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-22, 12:51 PM   #16
Bibio
Mega Poster

give me waterproofness over style anyday... oxford products like most other brands might look good and well priced but they are not waterproof and usually rely on rain covers. there is nothing worse than turning up at your destination only to discover that all your stuff is soaking wet.

so the typical scenario is soaking wet boots and feet, soaking wet gloves and hands, soaking wet jacket and trousers, soaking wet stuff in your "pak". trust me i have been there and watched fellow bikers turn up at places miserable. the stuff never dries and makes your trip horrible. try 3 days of pizzing down rain in Scotland and you will wish you got better gear.

there is nothing like being dry......
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-22, 01:17 PM   #17
Chris_SVS

Sounds like a job for a topbox
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-22, 03:55 PM   #18
gadget

I've got one of the Oxford 1st time, tail bags, expanding on both sides and top, lots of little storage compartments, several straps etc for lashing it down including pads so the straps n buckles don't mark the paint, also doubles as a back pack. Can get loads of stuff in it. Plus ... it is actually waterproof! I got caught in a bit of a freak downpour a couple of times and to my surprise it was actually dry as a bone inside! So ... all in all very pleased. I think I paid about £40 for it.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-22, 07:44 PM   #19
EssEllTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
Have you thought of an Oxford tail pack ?

+1 to that. I have an Oxford tail pack that I used to use when commuting on the Fazer. 10 years and not a single leak. I dug it out of the cupboard the other day to see how it fits on the SV (it did with a tweak to the useless bungee points under the grab rail). I discovered a rain hood in one of the pockets, still in its plastic bag from the factory. I never even realised it was in there, let alone had to use it!

Not a current product, but is like this one:

EssEllTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-22, 11:20 PM   #20
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
give me waterproofness over style anyday... oxford products like most other brands might look good and well priced but they are not waterproof and usually rely on rain covers. there is nothing worse than turning up at your destination only to discover that all your stuff is soaking wet.
Other people don't think that about Oxford products !
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote