SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-01-22, 12:27 PM   #1
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default But cyclists.....

Red light jumpers. Dangerous to anyone on two wheels.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1486779072134983688
garynortheast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-22, 12:42 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: But cyclists.....

these kind of ignorant asswipes are obviously in a hurry to die or kill other people. there is running an amber going on red then there is just plain taking the pizz....
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-22, 01:19 PM   #3
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Yep. Pays to stay alert to red light jumpers. A regular occurence on my commute to work. If I was a second earlier and I'd have been side swiped by this guy as he shot out of side road through a red light. When people do it they don't do it slowly.

Last edited by Adam Ef; 28-01-22 at 01:21 PM.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-22, 02:18 PM   #4
keith_d
Mega Poster

The worst one I've seen was a cyclist who pulled out straight in front of a bus.

The bus driver managed to stop in time, but for a moment I thought they would be sending the cyclist home in a bucket. Twelve and a half tonnes of big red bus can make a quite a mess.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-22, 03:29 PM   #5
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Another reason I have dashcam. Long gone are the days of a bobby stepping out to give a red-light jumper a ticket.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-22, 11:37 PM   #6
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
... there is running an amber going on red then there is just plain taking the pizz....
To this day I still get amazed on some occasions when I've gone through late-ish on an amber because I feel like I have pushed the boundaries yet I see in my mirror one, two or more cars come through behind me.

I've probably chosen to go through more changing lights due to self-preserving 'fear' of being rear-ended than due to being unwilling to stop myself.
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-22, 11:24 AM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
I've probably chosen to go through more changing lights due to self-preserving 'fear' of being rear-ended than due to being unwilling to stop myself.
i dont slow down approaching green lights so its sometimes either brake hard or go through an amber and i use my judgment depending on weather and if there is someone behind me.

you also have to remember that there are a lot of foreign drivers who's country has different driving arrangements with fellow drivers.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-22, 12:22 PM   #8
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i dont slow down approaching green lights so its sometimes either brake hard or go through an amber and i use my judgment depending on weather and if there is someone behind me.

you also have to remember that there are a lot of foreign drivers who's country has different driving arrangements with fellow drivers.
Yes, exactly that.
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-22, 02:05 PM   #9
embee
Mega Poster

In Austria the green traffic light flashes a couple of times before it changes to amber then red. This gives an excellent forewarning that it's just about to change to amber, and while it sounds like an unnecessary complication it actually works extremely well, it takes all the "will it, won't it?" judgement out of approaching traffic lights on green. If it's still solid green at the point where you need to commit to either stopping or carrying on, then you're fine. The couple of flashes then the amber period means you can ease up and stop easily with no drama.

It'll never catch on here.
Old 29-01-22, 03:33 PM   #10
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
In Austria the green traffic light flashes a couple of times before it changes to amber then red. This gives an excellent forewarning that it's just about to change to amber, and while it sounds like an unnecessary complication it actually works extremely well, it takes all the "will it, won't it?" judgement out of approaching traffic lights on green. If it's still solid green at the point where you need to commit to either stopping or carrying on, then you're fine. The couple of flashes then the amber period means you can ease up and stop easily with no drama.
Wuh? Don't you need another code to warn you that it's going to start flickering soon?

Seriously, that's what amber means! If it changes to amber in time for you to stop safely and in control, you stop, if you don't have time to stop you go through on amber. Why make it more complex than it needs to be?

Last edited by daktulos; 29-01-22 at 03:35 PM.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote