SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-09-22, 01:09 PM   #11
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Yamaha conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
is it possable that the bottom oring is meant to fit inside the lower part of the bracket to stop the bracket rattling. so it wont matter as the "step" on the bracket will stop the oring rising all the way up the bracket lower tube?

assemble the oring with a little silicon grease or chain lube.
This was my initial thought but having studied pix of my bike from new I am now less sure. I had briefly fitted a lowering kit and raised the stanchions in the triple clamps not knowing about the o rings at the time. I noticed later after removing the lowering kit that I could see the chrome stanchion between the lower triple clamp and the headlamp shroud because I had unknowingly moved the o ring out of position leaving a gap. I meant to investigate but never got around to it (but now I know the reason).

Taking that into account and the early MT-07 headlamp shround securing procedure (which uses same o rings) I think that the o rings are sandwiched between the triple clamp and the shroud. I have practiced pulling the o ring outside of the shroud using small strips of card, the plan being to insert the stanchion into position and let the o rings snap into place. (Plan A, ). Since I am still a pessimist, I have 2 spare o rings coming today

The forks are done, I just need to collect them tomorrow then we'll see how many "plans" I have to work through.

What could go wrong?
Old 23-09-22, 04:11 PM   #12
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Yamaha conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
What could go wrong?
I now know the answer to that question.

My plan basically worked on one side but on the other side I had made the mistake of rolling the o ring instead of sliding it which seemed to imbue it with a power I didn't think possible.

Yes, it snapped into the gap between the lower triple clamp and the shroud like it was supposed to, it then gathered itself together and disappeared inside the shroud. Each time I retrieved it and tried to un-roll it, it let me think job done and then slowly, inexorably would start its disappearing trick again. 2 hours of these fun and games!

It would not have been a problem to leave it "as is" but it meant I could see the shiny stanchion showing on one side and not the other (and I wanted symmetry). Eventually, I took a spare o ring, cut it and pushed it into the gap so they now look the same.

To add insult to injury, someone on the XSR forum suggested I order a larger o ring since they only need to be crushed between shroud and triple clamp. The annoying thing about that is I have a large box of o rings which includes a thicker one that I had actually tried on the stanchion but discarded the idea because, at the time, I thought it was supposed to fit inside the shroud and it was too thick for that. Bother.