SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-03-05, 01:32 PM   #1
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Default Bike Running Bad. PLEASE HELP

As the title says.

Would a weak battery cause poor running. Bike is really spluttery and doesn't want to tick over. It's ok when perfectly dry weather, but when it is damp it is a bag of ****e. I have recently balanced the carbs, changed the oil and both filters as well as the spark plugs. Like I say, it runs fine when dry but damp is a nightmare. I looked at the front plug with the engine running when I was experiencing problems and I could see the spark arcing across the top of the plug cap. Is this a sign that the HT lead is breaking down???

Please help. This is really ****ing me off!

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-05, 01:35 PM   #2
Carsick

I'm not sure exactly what would cause it to arc, but it definitely shouldn't do that.
A dead cable or cap seems probable. Either that or the cable isn't pushed into the cap properly.
Old 02-03-05, 02:28 PM   #3
csimmo

I had simlar problem your bike will only be running on 1 cylinder, It was the wet on the ht cap that caused my spark to jump across to the cylinder head , while the bike was running i sprayed loads of wd40 on and around front ht lead and front cylinder will eventually kick back in. I made a flap that covers the front plug cap and stops any water dirt getting onto the plug cap, since i have done this ive not had the problem.

Hope this helps
Old 02-03-05, 02:29 PM   #4
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bike Running Bad. PLEASE HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs
I looked at the front plug with the engine running when I was experiencing problems and I could see the spark arcing across the top of the plug cap. Is this a sign that the HT lead is breaking down???
In a word, yes.

You can spray with various stuff to help a bit, but usually once they start to break down the only reliable solution is replacement. Don't know what alternatives to the genuine Suzi items are around, I'd guess there are some NGK caps which would do the job. Seem to recall someone used a Honda item.

First check that the plugs are gapped correctly, very large gaps require higher voltages to be built up before they'll spark, and you can reach the limit of the insulation before the spark happens, but this is probably clutching at straws.

Also as Carsick says check the cap is pushed on the plug terminal correctly (same problem as for big plug gap).
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-05, 02:30 PM   #5
Red ones
Mega Poster

Vaseline (on the lead) or WD40. I spray WD40 on the front lead on really damp mornings before I even try to start the bike.

I have found a flat battery can affect the amount of grunt (presumably as it is pulling a lot of charge) but doesn't affect tick over
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-05, 03:00 PM   #6
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Thanks guys. I will do the WD40 thing to get me through to the weekend and then pull the plug out and check it all over. Gap, seating the cap properly etc etc.

Maybe I am being a bit thick here, but I am not a great mechanic. Where does the HT lead route to. On a car it is the distributor, but where the feck does it go to on a bike? Generator? CDI? Never really looked when I've serviced the bike. Just unplgged, installed new sparks and plugged back up. I know I will find out if I trace it back from the plug. Is it difficult to install a new set of leads. Don't flame me! I am trying you know.

Old 02-03-05, 03:03 PM   #7
Carsick

Quote:
Where does the HT lead route to.
It goes to a coil, the SV has 2 coils so no need for a distributor.
Old 02-03-05, 03:06 PM   #8
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsick
Quote:
Where does the HT lead route to.
It goes to a coil, the SV has 2 coils so no need for a distributor.
Ahh OK. Sounds quite simple. (famous last words)