SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-01-23, 08:29 PM   #1
suzuvee

Default Wanabe SV owner....

Looking at buying an SV, most likely an X version, 2018 or 19, so thought I'd check in here to find tips and advise of what to look for and any problems they might have.
I get the impression it's a popular bike for a wide variety of owners and use, and that it's pretty reliable and bullet proof.
I have other bikes but have been wanting another V twin for a while and have always liked the look of the SV.
So let me know.
suzuvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-23, 08:49 PM   #2
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: Wanabe SV owner....

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find plenty of good advice here.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 24-01-23, 08:53 PM   #3
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Welcome along Suzuvee. The heart of all SVs is that lovely engine. It'll last forever as long as you change the oil and filter regularly, don't try wheelieing it (oil runs away from the pump) and keep the throttle bodies balanced.
Keep your electrical connections clean and proof them against damp and corrosion with a small application of ACF50.
The SV will do high mileages quite happily if looked after. I have an old curvy which now has 105,000miles on it and is still going strong.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-23, 07:57 AM   #4
Seeker
Mega Poster

Welcome

I have an SV650AL7 (the "X" has minor styling changes) that I bought new in 2016 and have now done about 35k miles.
There was an ECU recall in 2016 because (my recollection is hazy but I think it was ignoring a temp sensor) but any year after that will have the new ECU from the factory and all earlier bikes will have been updated.

The SV family has always had soft suspension but this model doesn't seem as bad as the 2 curvies I've owned and I haven't felt the need to change things (whereas my XSR700 needed help immediately). I only weigh 58kg though.

The front brakes are poor (another SV family legacy) but around 2019 they changed calipers finally and they are much improved (I've read).

The seat is appallingly uncomfortable (imho) and I only lasted 300 miles before changing it - others have said it's no big deal. The "X" comes with the optional "Tuck and Roll" seat which some say is no more comfortable just prettier.

Suzuki have caused a little confusion about spark plugs and some owners manuals say change every 7500 miles. The plug is unique to this SV, it takes 4 and they are £12 each. An Irridium plug will work (I'm told) and I speculate it's an emissions thing.

Now that the miles are increasing there isn't anything major to report - certainly nothing mechanical. There are a couple of minor electrical gremlins that are surfacing one is the fuel gauge stops working and the indicator runs like a snake across the display (mine doesn't do it). The other is the gear indicator can get confused between 1st and 2nd, mine did do that in 2018. I bought all the parts to fix it but leaving it parked in 1st has cured mine!

What else? The only other annoying thing I can think of is that mine very occasionally only wants to start on 1 cylinder. Always at a petrol station with the temperature somewhere between 5° and 9°C but maybe every 20 fill ups - long enough for you to forget. Catch it on the throttle and the second cylinder chimes in immediately.

Other comments? It's very economical and 80mpg is achievable, it's smooth, mirrors are good (AL7 has different bar arrangement to the X though) it sounds good on the bike (Suzuki have fiddled with the airbox to make it so). The display has tons of info speed, revs, gear, trip/odo, time, fuel level plus estimated range (and can show instantaneous or average fuel
consumption) and the newer ones can show battery voltage too (don't know when that came in).
Pet peeve (on all modern bikes) the front mudguard is far too small even after a fender extender, the rear needs help too (or only ride on dry roads). They're getting smaller too! I'd better stop because it causes me to rant.

Gimmicks? It has the "easy start" system where one stab on the starter causes the starter motor to crank over until the engine starts or 3 secs (max). I'm so used to it that I forget other bikes don't have it. The SV will raise the engine revs slightly as it senses the clutch switch to stop newbies stalling.

Since I bought this SV I've had 3 or 4 other bikes - but it's the SV that stays, I think that shows what I think of it.

Last edited by Seeker; 25-01-23 at 08:09 AM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-23, 09:58 AM   #5
Craig380
Mega Poster

Welcome to the forum! I have 45,000 miles on a 2017 Gen 3, and I echo pretty much all of what Seeker said above apart from the front brakes, I think they work OK.

I think the important thing when buying is to remember there are LOADS of them out there, so if you have ANY suspicions or doubts about one you're looking at, walk away - you'll find another one soon enough.

For what it's worth, I bought both of my SVs second-hand from Suzuki dealers, they often get taken in part-ex for a bigger Suzuki once a relatively new rider feels they want to 'upgrade,' this way they're usually very competitively priced and you get some comeback in the event of any issues emerging.

A dealer service history is nice but not essential, the engines are basically bomb-proof. There isn't really an obvious Achilles heel with these bikes. Most owners do add accessories to suit their taste, so expect to see aftermarket exhaust cans, mirrors, etc. Good luck with your search.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-23, 04:43 PM   #6
suzuvee

Thanks so far guys, all very encouraging!

What is the top speed of these, just so I have an idea of their max comfortable cruising speed?
Old 26-01-23, 05:09 PM   #7
Craig380
Mega Poster

SVs will cruise all day at 75/80, which is around 5,500rpm in 6th gear, and will accelerate quickly to well beyond 100 any time you fancy with just a snap of the wrist. No need to drop a gear to make them go.

Max speed? Well, I've had 125 (117 by GPS) on the clock of mine, on a flat road and in neutral conditions, and the speed was still rising.

As you probably know, 75-ish is about as fast as you'd want to cruise for long periods on a naked bike, the windblast gets tiring pretty quickly.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-23, 05:39 PM   #8
suzuvee

That'll do!!

I'm looking at a nice SV650X, 2019 model, 1900 miles, totally mint condition, for £5250, is that a fair price? I have seen almost similar machines at under £5k but not in this colour, which I really like. Oh, that price includes delivery and the dealer is about 2 or 3 hours away from me.
Old 26-01-23, 05:46 PM   #9
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuvee View Post
That'll do!!

I'm looking at a nice SV650X, 2019 model, 1900 miles, totally mint condition, for £5250, is that a fair price? I have seen almost similar machines at under £5k but not in this colour, which I really like. Oh, that price includes delivery and the dealer is about 2 or 3 hours away from me.
Go for a good test ride before you commit.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-23, 05:55 PM   #10
suzuvee

Unfortunately that won't be possible, however, this dealer seems very respectable and have been around for a long time. There will also be a warranty to cover any issues that may occur initially, although they are convinced there won't be. They sold this bike new and have known it's history from that time, it has been taken as part ex against another Suzuki, not the same model.

As far as whether I will like it or not, that's a risk I will have to take, but from what I've seen on youtube and read here, I think it will be fine. I like V twins full stop though!

I have other bikes too, and the 2 most recent I've bought without seeing them, apart from pix, or riding them
and I'm more than happy with both, although they are at different poles in the type of machines they are!!