SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-04-05, 07:13 AM   #1
stardust

Default Dim Headlights on the SV400S

Help!!!

I can't see a thing when I travel late at night on the many dark stretches of expressways!

Riding a SV400S, year 2000 production .. I'm the 2nd owner, so I'm not too sure what the previous owner had done to the bike.. but the lights are really dim! The high beam is fine, but the low beam is terrible. I've just changed the bulbs so it's definitely not the bulbs that is the problem.

Just wondering if any of you have the same problem? Does the newer batch of SVs have brighter, better projecter lenses? I'm quite troubled about the lights as I do night riding occasionally and it's certainly nerve wrecking not to be able to see your way out of a bend..

I'm even contemplating changing the entire set of headlights if it helps, even if it will cost a fortune.. but seeking other alternatives first. Suggestions anyone?
Old 01-04-05, 08:48 AM   #2
Stig

A long shot I know but it just might be the cause. I have recently fitted twin fighter lights to my nakid and the beam was seriously dissapointing. On closer inspection I realised the the reflective shine material that produces the beam was covered in a film of crap and the light could not bounce off of it very well. I pulled out the bulbs and shoved a cloth in there to clean them. I now have nice bright lights again.

Like I said, a long shot, but could just be your problem.
Old 01-04-05, 09:06 AM   #3
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Also check the headlight is properly adjusted. I had similar situation with my Honda Bros , bought a different bulb which did not seem to make much difference.

Problem was the headlight was pointing too far down.

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 09:09 AM   #4
stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe
A long shot I know but it just might be the cause. I have recently fitted twin fighter lights to my nakid and the beam was seriously dissapointing. On closer inspection I realised the the reflective shine material that produces the beam was covered in a film of crap and the light could not bounce off of it very well. I pulled out the bulbs and shoved a cloth in there to clean them. I now have nice bright lights again.

Like I said, a long shot, but could just be your problem.
hmm.. reflective shine material? are your twin lights from the S model? or made to custom fit the naked model?
Old 01-04-05, 09:10 AM   #5
stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21QUEST
Also check the headlight is properly adjusted. I had similar situation with my Honda Bros , bought a different bulb which did not seem to make much difference.

Problem was the headlight was pointing too far down.

Cheers
Ben
hi, thanks for the input.. I've adjusted the headlights up, but it's still dim. sigh.. sigh..
Old 01-04-05, 09:10 AM   #6
Stig

Talking about the backing on all lights. It's what makes them bright and shiney
Old 01-04-05, 09:56 AM   #7
stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe
Talking about the backing on all lights. It's what makes them bright and shiney
okae, I'll give it a shot!