SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-11-06, 06:42 PM   #1
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Clear Tail Lights - Advice Needed

These clear tail lights from Bandit Mania have been on my shopping list for a while now.
The plan is to remove the rear indicators from the tail tidy to just have the clear integrated indicators.
What I want to know is how easy they are to fit, I heard that some people had trouble with the repeat rate of the indicators and had to change the resistors
Also, are these actually legal?
Bandit Mania is the only place I have found these but if you know of anywhere cheaper, please let me know

Any views/opinions on this mod would be appreciated
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-06, 06:45 PM   #2
Viney
Mega Poster

Some things to note.

They will not pass an MOT
They are not very bright in direct sunlight
They dont use Luxon LED's like std SV lights, but bright LED's

Flash rate can be corrected buy purchasing the correct resistor and wiring in parallel. These can be got from poeple like Maplins.

HTH
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-06, 06:47 PM   #3
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
They will not pass an MOT
When it comes to MOT time couldnt I just bolt on the standard indicators to the tail tidy and leave the clear tail light on?
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-06, 10:43 PM   #4
Paws

[/quote]
When it comes to MOT time couldnt I just bolt on the standard indicators to the tail tidy and leave the clear tail light on? [/quote]

yup, my sv passed with a clear rear light..
Change the lenses on the idicators to orange ones and you should be ok for an mot
Old 17-11-06, 09:56 PM   #5
b1kerb0y

i havent bothered with the clear lights yet, but judgeing by how much truble i had fitting an r+g tail tidy and led indicators from busters im not even going to bother!!!
Old 18-11-06, 09:14 AM   #6
the_runt69

Have twin LED clear rear lights but have taken the indicators out of them as they are too close together for the MOT, just fitted mini iridium indicators on an rarseend

H
Old 18-11-06, 10:12 AM   #7
muffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_runt69
Have twin LED clear rear lights but have taken the indicators out of them as they are too close together for the MOT, just fitted mini iridium indicators on an rarseend

H
how do you find the daytime brightness of the brake light compared to the original? i was thinking about these but only using the brake light part. i've had clear lights before and usually they suffer in daylight (night time is ok but that's because it's so much easier to see lights).

viney what are the differences between luxon and bright LEDs? is it the candlepower or something (sounds like more than that)? I googled but only found them for sale, very little info.
Old 18-11-06, 10:44 AM   #8
arenalife

I thought it all came down to the E mark, not legal if it not got one.... whether MOT's check to that level I don't know.
Old 18-11-06, 08:32 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

I like the clear tail lights, but a lot of indicators- the integrated ones, and the flushmounts you get on some undertrays- might as well not exist. Obviously you don't ever want to be depending on the car behind having seen your indicators, but there's no reason at all IMO to give them an excuse... Far less fit indicators only a couple of inches apart that could cause confusion.

Still... The old MOT rules were

"The precise position and angle of visibility of direction indicators are not part of this inspection, but they must be on each side of the longitudinal axis of a solo machine. If a side car is attached, the indicators must be on opposite sides of the combination.Motorcycles first used before 1 September 1965 may be fitted with direction indicators showing a WHITE light to the front and a RED light to the rear."

I've often heard it said that there's a mandatory seperation distance, but that doesn't seem to be the case from this.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote