SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-06-12, 03:26 PM   #1
unclepoo

Default new member..new bike, what's the best mods?

Hi guys.
I`m new on here, I`ll be picking my sv650 (54 reg) this week...I can`t wait. It`s my first proper road bike in 20yrs as I`ve had enduro bikes for green laning etc.
what are the best modifications and tweaks for the sv650....exhaust..induction..tyres.
Old 03-06-12, 03:28 PM   #2
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: new member..new bike, whats the best mods

Suspension, suspension, suspension!
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 03:45 PM   #3
Eulaca

^ What he said.

First thing I did was get new front springs. I went with hyperpro progressive (which I kind of regret, should have got some specific for my weight). Now I'm saving for a new rear shock.

Lots of people seem to use a shock from another bike, however that requires modification of the battery box, the other option is to get one specifically built for you weight. (search shock swap to find out more about using one from another bike).

Small things I've done to my bike were to change the front bulbs to Nightbreak Plus (£13 from Amazon, this is a barely a mod, it's just made the front light the smallest bit brighter). I've also added a Fuel slip on exhaust, however that adds 10,000% power and its just not safe (In reality it only make the bike sound different and nothing else).
Eulaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 04:08 PM   #4
Tim in Belgium

Stiffer front springs and thicker decent fork oil.

Bingo bango!

Then a rear shock.

Spend the rest on petrol, tyres, touring, scratching and track days, job jobbed.
Old 03-06-12, 04:11 PM   #5
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Yes all that and brakes ...
Old 03-06-12, 04:29 PM   #6
alfa.rbt

what they said
Old 03-06-12, 05:51 PM   #7
unclepoo

i did hear the suspension was a bit soft n built to a budget...but there not gsxr`s are they.
Mine`s got a scorpion slip-on can on it, so that will save a bit of weight n sounds nice...tho the baffle is in, how do they sound when there out, they must breath easier with a straight through exhaust...as its only going to be a pleasure bike it wont be going to work a 7.00am so i don`t have to worry about next door etc. I`ll post a photo when i fathom how to do it.
Old 03-06-12, 06:11 PM   #8
alfa.rbt

best way to a photos is to get a account in here, upload'em there and then just copy IMG code and past it in message. good tip is not to upload too big pictures (800x600 should be about right)
Old 03-06-12, 06:13 PM   #9
SV Mad

Sensibility says things that improve the handling, but you can't beat a good old loud exhaust to make you smile (and make people turn to look - and say 'look at that d**k').

Scorpion is great....and loud..
Old 03-06-12, 06:21 PM   #10
unclepoo

The scorpion silencer is a fair size....looks about 400mm long at a guess. I`ll just have to whip out the baffle n see what it sounds like.
Am i right in thinking that my 2004 sv will be fuel injected, not carbs...do i have anything to worry about, as this will be my first injected bike if it is.