SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-09-09, 11:50 PM   #1
PRstar

Default Awkward gearchange.

Fellas and Ladies

Could use a spot of advice here. I'm riding an 03 SV - having a tough upload of the image - maybe because I'm in Canada - lol. Anyhow - have a bit of a tricky challenge here. This bike came to me heavily modded - with about 7000 clicks (km)- and in mint shape - custom paint, exhaust, wider tires, halogen lights - all the bells and tricks. It's so clean and new - and doesn't have a spot of dust on her. Anyhow, I've been riding it for the summer (4000km), and am starting to notice a serious increase in shifting effort - on the foot side. I don't get it - when the bike is cold - it's very snick snick and shifts like a dream - but when it warms up - it's a real trick to find neutral and shifting effort at least doubles..up and downshifting. Also, when I turn the bike off - finding that neutral is a charm. Note - I did change the oil recently - but all levels and viscosity is fine. Any ideas where I can start to get this sorted? Love from Toronto - Joe

Last edited by PRstar; 02-09-09 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-09-09, 06:07 AM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Tricky Tranny

Greetings Joe, welcome to the forum, in ref to your problem, I know you say the levels are fine, but as the SV suffers from the same problem you're having I'd just check that again, also it might be wise to lube the gear lever pivot points as well as checking the chain tension.

If none of that helps, perhaps checking the clutch adjustment or lubing the cable might do the trick.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-09, 07:08 AM   #3
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Hi Joe, I have to say that's a bit of a teaser, what you describe sounds like a dragging clutch but normally they do it when cold, then get better as the bike warms up....yours is the other way round! I'd be inclined to look into the clutch mechanism first, check the adjuster moves freely and the bite point isn't to far in. As a matter of interest is the shift still slick if you don't use the clutch (best to try up the box rather than down) and if you turn the engine off does the gear lever still move easily and smoothly? (when hot).
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-09, 02:20 PM   #4
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Yep if the engine oil level is too high it can cause problems. Also check the chain tension as mine hates a loose chain. Don't miss the shifter pivots though, these can go surprisingly solid, especially if some tol has been jet washing them.

I'm in TO in a few weeks on holiday!
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-09, 02:37 PM   #5
Owenski

tranny means something else in this country mate.

how disopointed was I, when I opened this thread expecting something about a bloke dressed as a woman who was also a magician. Only to find out it was some question about a gearbox
Old 03-09-09, 03:03 PM   #6
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
Yep if the engine oil level is too high it can cause problems.
This is the most commonly reported cause of not being able to find neutral when the bike is warm, so it'd be the one i'd check first.

Warm up the bike and let some oil out to the Low mark, then see if it improves. Just keep an eye on the oil level as on low, you've got no reserve.

You did have the bike upright and not on the side stand when you set the oil level, didn't you?