SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-03-06, 06:22 PM   #1
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Why are other peoples cars a pain in the ass

Just been called out, the daughters Polo is overheating in standing traffic.

Got to her with a couple of litres of water just incase.

First diag

OK the header tank is sizzling, there is water running from the header to drain. So definately overheating.

Turn on ignitition fan does not turn. So suspect either fan or temp switch. As roads home are clear I decide that there should be sufficient airflow throught the rad to cool. So she takes my car and I will drive hers.

A mile down the road doing a good 50/60 mph the temp has gone up again, so I stop, lift the bonnet. Interesting, the rad is cold, the top feed pipe is too hot to touch and lower pipe cold.

Damm must be the thermos****.

So let it cool for ten mins and then whip it home.

Pull off the thermostat housing and remove thermostat. Put in pan of boiling water and it functions perfectly. Damm my diag skills are crap. So start to rebuild, go to put the thermostat in the housing and I notice.

Err shouldn't there be a plastic bridge in there for the thermostat to push against where that jagged piece of plastic is.

Yippeee my diag skill are still good. Overheating fault found.

Do I ring round the volkswagon dealers in the morning to find a new housing. or say sod it, let it take longer to warm up and remove the thermostat altogether.

What is it with Dads anyway. Why should we fix our kids cars. I had to do my own when I was a kid, getting my hands dirty never did me any harm.
Old 02-03-06, 06:31 PM   #2
timwilky
Mega Poster

Yeah, but they want equality. Then play the girly game when they don't like the jobs blokes have to do.

And before somebody says anything I do clean the loo at home.
Old 02-03-06, 07:21 PM   #3
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I think cleaning the loo is a bit of a waste of time as you are only going to crap in it and make it dirty again.
Trainspotting anyone?
Old 03-03-06, 12:05 AM   #4
Ping

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky
Yeah, but they want equality. Then play the girly game when they don't like the jobs blokes have to do.

And before somebody says anything I do clean the loo at home.
Whoa there buckaroo...

<soap box>
You raise a girl with dolls and prams, how is she going to know anything about cars let alone have the confidence to poke around under the bonnet to diagnose a problem? The understanding of components and how a car works comes with experience. The understanding of the components and how to scrub a bog comes with common sense. Brush, cleaner, bog.

Admittedly, a lot of girls are happy enough just to be 'rescued' and have no interest in learning about vehicles but some of us are in the game late but learning everything we can now. I know some girlies who know more about their machines than their blokes.

Enough of this 'they' crap. You're doing those of us who're actually interested a HOOOOOGE injustice. :P
<end soap box>

Edit: Erm.. probably a stupid questin but without the thermostat - if the engine starts overheating for other reasons the fan won't know to turn on will it? Isn't that asking for more trouble in the future?
Old 03-03-06, 12:12 AM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: Why are other peoples cars a pain in the ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky
Do I ring round the volkswagon dealers in the morning to find a new housing. or say sod it, let it take longer to warm up and remove the thermostat altogether.
as for the boring techie bit, if you take the thermostat out it won't warm up at all. The rad is sized for cooling at worst case in high ambients. With no stat the full coolant flow will go through the rad and it'll reject all the heat it can. Bite the bullet and fix it.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-06, 12:59 AM   #6
the_runt69

Raised my Daughter on Dolls and prams but only the wife played with them, she prefers Goth and all things dark. Will have to introduce her to the Bag of spanners a bit more and maybe she'll take motorcycle mechanics for an A level.

H[/quote]
Old 03-03-06, 02:21 PM   #7
timwilky
Mega Poster

Just got call fom the dealer, the new housing has come in.

Damm it is snowing, that balls up my plans. Cause I will have to trek to the pub instead now
Old 03-03-06, 03:17 PM   #8
mysteryjimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping
stuff
My 18 month old love cars and one of those plastic garages. She's also sat on my bike

Equally shes very "girlie" and loves her pink clothes, dolly and teddies... I blame her mom for that ....

Her favourite music is rock and i reckon she's gonna take up the drums cause she loves dancing to em....
Old 03-03-06, 03:25 PM   #9
Lou M

Right.
As kids, my brother was not interested in cars, as much as my dear Dad tried. I was, but dear Dad didn't take me seriously as I'm a girl.

I have had a certificate to show my motor mechanical competance (Vehicle Maint Level 1 - will do level 2 when finished my accountancy course). My brother, Dad and bloke don't.

End of Story.
Men.

PS - this cert means that I can service my bike and car whilst in warrenty, and still keep the warrenty valid (so our tutor told us)
Old 03-03-06, 03:29 PM   #10
mysteryjimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuttyT@rt
Right.
As kids, my brother was not interested in cars, as much as my dear Dad tried. I was, but dear Dad didn't take me seriously as I'm a girl.

I have had a certificate to show my motor mechanical competance (Vehicle Maint Level 1 - will do level 2 when finished my accountancy course). My brother, Dad and bloke don't.

End of Story.
Men.

PS - this cert means that I can service my bike and car whilst in warrenty, and still keep the warrenty valid (so our tutor told us)
That just means you've had the time and been nicely located to do those courses!