SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-03-05, 01:25 AM   #1
Goldeneagle

Default Clutch Slippage/Wear

Hello all,

What signs/symptoms usually typify clutch failure? Right now during downshifting in the lower gears there's some lag & a noise/sensation that sounds/feels like velcro (hook & loop closure) pulling apart. It also occurs during launches so I'm thinkin' the clutch is about to go. Does this make sense? How much does it cost to replace? do they make dry clutches for SV's...That'd be cool....
Old 09-03-05, 08:32 AM   #2
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

You may find the clutch just needs adjusting. Try this first. And, no, you can't have a dry clutch on an SV. The design of the engine dictates wet!

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-05, 01:53 PM   #3
SVeeedy Gonzales

Not sure whether it's relevant in this case, but I've been told that overfilling the oil level, even by a little bit, can cause clutch slip problems... if the oil has been topped up or changed lately, that could be the cause?
Old 09-03-05, 01:57 PM   #4
Grinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVeeedy Gonzales
Not sure whether it's relevant in this case, but I've been told that overfilling the oil level, even by a little bit, can cause clutch slip problems... if the oil has been topped up or changed lately, that could be the cause?
is the oil level between the 2 lines, mine was a bit over and its fine....
the wrong oil causes clutch slipping as I found out... though mainly causing the bike to want to move in 1st even though the clutch was right in.
Old 09-03-05, 02:24 PM   #5
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

If the clutch isn't slipping, then it's most likely not an adjustment problem, that would cause either slip - where the clutch doesn't transmit the drive fully, or drag - where the clutch doesn't disengage fully.
This sounds more like clutch judder, I suspect you notice the problem just at the very limit of lever movement just as the drive is fully taken up, and that it's worse when hot.
If so then the problem is in either; clutch release bearing - needle roller/seat/pushrod mushroom, the lifter under the sprocket cover or possibly the clutch centre bearing.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote