SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-05-08, 07:34 AM   #1
StevF

Thumbs down Surrey Roads

Don't know if anyone wants to know of this (or if its even in the right forum), but since it seems like a sunny weekend for the bank holiday.
The roads from Dorking to Horsham in Surrey (and i think others are too) are being "resurfaced". Basically shingle on some tar, its like riding on ice. Saw a Ninja crawling up the overtaking lane at 30mph.
Old 20-05-08, 08:04 AM   #2
injury_ian

Default Re: Surrey Roads

Yeah Surrey County Council seem to have bought a bumper batch of the stuff and are laying it everywhere.

Good- as FINALLY some road repairs are being done, this stuff when set is extra grippy.

Bad- It takes a week+ to bed in and month+ for loose stones to disappear.
Old 20-05-08, 11:29 AM   #3
thedonal

The roads around surrey are a fair state. Look at the state of the A24 coming back from Boxhill towards Leatherhead- huge chunks out of the road all over the place, just around the speed camera.

And what about all of those joins in the tarmac that are sticking way out of the road? They're approaching speed humps, but the council will likely do nowt about them, as they will contribute to slowing the bikers on the bends.... Grrrr.

Given that these roads are heavily used by bikes, it would be nice for them to be made a bit safer for the bikes...

Though yes- new road surfaces are good, and pain in the neck as they are, the new method of leaving the stones to bed in is an improvement to the near ice conditions of some shiny new road surfaces. Even though they are a burden to ride on at the time, especially with all those stones pinging about at your lid/fairing (as how many people actually do stick to 20mph on four wheels?!).

Maybe we should get a blacklist of these roads together and contact Surrey Council collectively. Judging by the sign on the A24 that says "Keep Surrey moving- report road defects", they may welcome constructive comments.
Old 20-05-08, 11:30 AM   #4
Alpinestarhero

woohoo new road surfaces

i hope theres not too much traffic, im going to brighton via a24 on saturday
Old 20-05-08, 05:20 PM   #5
Mr Toad

Yeah, had this lot on Moday evening, not fun

StevF - is that you I keep nodding to in the evenings on my way home - I'm on a Red SV1000 - someone keeps passing me the other way on a black curvey
Old 20-05-08, 05:45 PM   #6
StevF

Might be. Im usually on the roads around 6pm-ish.

They have been patching the roads in places recently, not a brilliant job but a start.
I think they are adding more cameras too, some new speed camera signs are popping up.
Old 21-05-08, 11:38 AM   #7
Fizzy Fish

thanks for the heads up - will be steering clear to avoid delays/stone chips!
Old 21-05-08, 05:42 PM   #8
StevF

redoing the middle of dorking the same too today.
Old 21-05-08, 08:35 PM   #9
thedonal

Aha- I always take the backroad by the school for A240-A25. Though I tend to go over Ranmore in the summer- loadsafun/thrills when those roads aren't covered in gravel/slime from bad weather!