SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-01-07, 09:24 AM   #1
Daimo

Default Anyone keep rabbits (two or more)?

Missis is trying to sign up to a rabbit forum but not having any joy at all...

Basically, we have 2 rabbits we got from an RSPCA center, both 5 months old when we got them, brothers, always been together. They have been neuted a few months ago..

Recently, they've started what looks like fighting, but im not sure? They are jumping around over each other and going mental, fur goes flying, but i can't actually see any paws or claws flying about? Just a lot of jumping on each other, spinning and general panic. They've done it 3-4 times over as many days now but haven't done it before. After we've either pulled them away from each other, or just left them to it, they go back to each other and cuddle up again?

Anyone got any experience with rabbits? I've looked on so many sites and i can't really find an answer yet. They are about 10 months old now so just coming into full adulthood (lion head X lop eared)
Old 23-01-07, 09:26 AM   #2
Daimo

Evil :P
Old 23-01-07, 09:26 AM   #3
skint

Stick em in a pie, have a hearty meal then go out for a megga blat!
Old 23-01-07, 09:29 AM   #4
hovis

sounds like they could be GAY?

see if BIG GAY AL can help...............he helped stans dog
Old 23-01-07, 09:29 AM   #5
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Sounds like they are fighting. I expect they are trying to sort out which one is boss. We've only got 1 male rabbit, but I've had pairs of rabbits as pets when I was smaller. We used to keep them in seperate hutches as we though we had two females but ended up with a male and a female and we didnt want them to have babies.

A local pet store had 5 Male lops up for sale all kept in the same pen, but then they had to seperate them as they were fighting. I think one of them got beaten up quite badly. If it were me I'd be getting another hutch.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-07, 09:30 AM   #6
Daimo

Its not too much, I just don't want either to get hurt and make me spend out on vet bills, money that could be spent putting more juice in the bike for rides

Fizz, we've been trying to tell whos the dominent one. One of them used to be the dominent to start with, but now the other ones grown much much bigger and sits in front to be groomed by him, so its almost like the roles have reversed.

But now the smaller one keeps chasing the larger one round the hutch/room.
Old 23-01-07, 09:36 AM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Sounds like you've got a power struggle going on then I would have thought by being "done" they wouldnt have been so aggressive. Is the hutch you keep them in quite big have they got enough room to have their own "territory" as it were.

Sounds like the one thats got bigger is throwing his weight about and the smaller one who was the boss does'nt like it. Just keep a close on eye on the little fella's would be my advice then. If it gets to bad and one of them does actually get injured, which might happen then maybe look at seperating them. Is there a local vet you can go and talk to and get some advice ?

Old 23-01-07, 09:43 AM   #8
Daimo

Its a 42" dog cage, and i've put a 2nd level and ramp in it, so its quite big enough really.

The bigger one (Jerry) doesn't seem to be throwing his weight around, he's quite passive and timid, but after reading loads of stuff last night, he seems to be the one who gets groomed by the smaller one (Ben). Ben is quite stroppy, but we're trying to work on that.

Both are still timid of us both, again something i've been reading up on and will be trying to sort out (never realised they were so "snobby" and complicated ).

As you say, its almost like Ben doesn't like it and has decided enough is enough, but Jerry doesn't seem to really be doing anything wrong.

May have to give a call to the local Vet to see what they say as you suggested.

The buggers in question.. We used to have them outside till a fox nearly got through the run, now we have them inside and let them out at the weekends which they seem ok with.. We let them out the cage as soon as we get home, till we go to bed. This was taken in the summer, Jerry (left) is jsut 1 big furball now, where as Ben looks practially like he does here..

Old 23-01-07, 09:51 AM   #9
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

They are quite timid, but once they get used to you they are pretty hilarious as to what they'll get up to. Our's spends a lot of time in the house with us. He's very very very inquisitive. He's taken to running up and down the stairs. He gets into every little space thats difficult to get him out of

He's chewed through two phone chargers and the power supply for our land line phone. He' had a go at the power supplies for both our laptops and Liz's jeans. He was timid to start with but now he's getting more used to us he will take food from our hands and if we hold the water bowl for him he'll take a drink from it. He pretty much has free reign of the house although he needs careful watching due to his chewing fetish

Yours will get used to you the more you handle them the better they'll be.

Have Ben & Jerry got enough toys and stuff. Rabbits are quite clever and then need plenty of stimulation i.e tubes to run through, stuff to chew on, toys etc. I'm wandering if they are getting bored and then picking on each other ?

Old 23-01-07, 09:52 AM   #10
hovis

cute picy