SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-05-08, 05:22 PM   #1
sv_rider1990

Default Having my valves and carburettors checked and adjusted what can i expect?

Hi peeps have just this minute dropped my bike off at a well respected garage near me for the valves to be checked and adjusted and re shimmed etc if needs be and also the carbs to be balnced to elimante the back firing as it needs to be adjusted to the Scorpian i have on the bike.... Its never had either of these done and according to the Haynes manual its welll over due they say 15,000 miles for the valves 7,000 miles for the carbs. My SV has just done 23,000 miles.... What im asking is what can i expect when i go to pick it up i am hoping its going to be alot smoother as of late noticed its bit like a tank and can feel everything from the engine turn etc.
Will it be like a new bike again and run smooth and free?
Old 28-05-08, 06:17 PM   #2
sv_rider1990

Default Re: Having my valves and carburettors checked and adjusted what can i expect?

aaaaaaaannnnyone out there??
Old 28-05-08, 06:22 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Re: Having my valves and carburettors checked and adjusted what can i expect?

The valves probably won't need doing, but they do need checking... Balancing the carbs can give a really big difference but it won't do much about the scorpion, if you're lean you'll still be lean... And the popping's probably caused by an air leak in the exhaust (most likely at the front of the can) rather than carb imbalance. But it's all good stuff to get done anyway.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-08, 06:27 PM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

well judging by your service schedule, are you sure that's all that's needed ?

whilst balancing the carbs should remove any throttle lag and indeed smooth things out, it won't make any difference on jetting or fuel mixture (unless you've asked them to look at that as well ?).

Valve shims, well that's a normal service item, I doubt they are out enough to hold open the valves so I don't think you'll notice at all, but will know they are at least right ( which after all is the point of a check).

So don't expect either of these to suddenly correct major running issues, if you want to make the bike feel like new, loob and adjust your cables, check your choke(s)/ chain & sprockets, service your brakes, well actually the stuff it says in the manuel

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-08, 06:31 PM   #5
sv_rider1990

Well im off touring in France in October and wanted it done before so its a weight off my shoulders not having to worry about that... these were the only 2 things i wasnt confident about doing myself but me and my dad are eventually going to do a whole service on the bike and put braided hoses on and do the forks (progressive) and go over the whole bike.

Also just had a Renthal Rear and front sprocket and an Iris X ring chain put on bout 500 miles back id say at an estimate.

What else would you say is needed to be done at this amount of miles?
Its got a foam filter, regular oil checks and just had a new filter (normal service) and brake pads are fine etc what else would you guys say is a "priority"?

Last edited by sv_rider1990; 28-05-08 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Forgot the chain lol!
Old 28-05-08, 06:32 PM   #6
sv_rider1990

Oh yeh buy the looks of the service history it really has just had the basic services ( i got the bike last october) just oil and filter and plugs but now i have irridiums in it.
Old 29-05-08, 01:33 AM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Balancing the carbs will make it feel smoother.

Scorpion end can will make no difference to anything. However the BMC filter might, I have no idea how that filter flows compared to stock. IMO I would either expect to rejet after chaging filters unless I knew that it was just as restrictive as stock.

p.s why did you fit an iris chain?
Old 29-05-08, 09:38 AM   #8
thedonal

I'm looking at having the carbs balanced valves checked and also the choke plungers looked at.

I'm going to investigate the chance of doing the choke plungers meself, but would prefer to give the others to a mechanic.

How long would it take an experienced mechanic to do the valve clearances (check only hopefully) and balance the carbs? Less than an hour or 1-2 hours? So I can have an idea of what it'll cost me...
Old 29-05-08, 11:24 AM   #9
sv_rider1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonal View Post
I'm looking at having the carbs balanced valves checked and also the choke plungers looked at.

I'm going to investigate the chance of doing the choke plungers meself, but would prefer to give the others to a mechanic.

How long would it take an experienced mechanic to do the valve clearances (check only hopefully) and balance the carbs? Less than an hour or 1-2 hours? So I can have an idea of what it'll cost me...
Mines taking 4 hours for the check 6 hours if the shims need replacing etc..... costing me £120 quid for 4 hours labour 6 Hours £180 plus a tyre being fitted and the carbs balanced and a compression check im looking at £250 in total obviously less if they dont need to replace the shims and that.
Old 29-05-08, 11:27 AM   #10
petevtwin650

JHS charge 329 for a 15k service. That includes valve check and if needs be adjustment, plus a rear linkage regrease. Also balancing of the carbs and a general sharpening up of all the controls.