SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-12-14, 01:53 PM   #1
stranger12

Default SV as track day bike?

Afternoon,

So I have decided to keep my sv650 after not been able to sell it for the amount I wanted .

I am going to use it as track day bike so if you were me what are the thing you would have done to it?

Here is what I am thinking :
1.Change the fork oil due to it been very soft and unpredictable . buy the kit that allows to adjust the dampness.
2.change both tyre to track day tyres.
3.change the clutch and brake to short lever.
4.take all indicator and mirroring off.
5.lower it , is it possible to do it ? it seems really high .

Many thanks
Old 01-12-14, 02:25 PM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: track day bike

1) fresh oil and ideally springs suited to your weight are worth it. Adjusting damping can be done with emulators which are not too expensive. And cartridge kiss which are.
2) if you only have one set of wheels, and will use in rain or dry a good sports tyre like michelin pilot power 3 will be good enough for all conditions.
3) Entirely up to you. No particular track needs
4) might as well
5) you don't stop that often on circuit, and most lowering kits compromise handling to some extent. Only if essential.

Make sure the bike is in good mechanical condition and see what holds you back

Jambo

Sent without a real keyboard
Old 01-12-14, 04:22 PM   #3
Red Herring
Mega Poster

If you bodywork is in really nice condition then consider getting some cheap trackday stuff and putting that on instead. Depending on the year and colour of your bike then the original stuff may be worth a fair bit..

As Jambo said, do a few trackdays before spending to much, you'll soon get an idea of what needs doing.

ps: one thing often overlooked is brakes, change your fluid and make sure you have plenty on the pads before your first trackday.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-14, 04:56 PM   #4
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Yep about bodywork, or buy some second-hand pre-scratched stuff for use on track. It's dirt cheap and always fits!
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-14, 06:03 PM   #5
JulesW

* See if you can get a spare set of wheels so you have a set for dry and a set for wet.
* Remove your nice plastics and replacing them with cheap, scratched originals or cheapo race fairings is great idea.
* You might consider swapping the nice £250 Remus end can for something cheap and cheerful. A right-hand lowside would spoil your Remus.
* Definitely remove reg. plate, pillion footrests, mirrors & indicators. Perhaps remove headlights as well.
* As you get to know your favourite circuits you might want a selection of final drive sprockets and make a note of which combos work well at specific circuits.
* Nitron (or similar) rear shock but they're not cheap.
* Read this thread http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=153136
* and this http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=127659
* Wouldn't be to bothered about levers, but the cheapo chinese ones can be really decent and under £20 a pair.
Old 01-12-14, 06:54 PM   #6
speedyandypandy

Use the original can, that way you will never be turned away from a trackday for being to loud, and they are cheap if crashed.
Don't lower the bike.
Don't know if your on a curvy or pointy, but if you're on a curvy you should get some raiser plates for your foot pegs, they are to low on the curvy, 1 inch up and 1 inch back and cut 1 inch of them shoul get you some ground clearance.
Keep the foot pegs original, they are also cheap second hand if/when crashed.
Buy some used levers, foot pegs, the gear lever breaks first(done it on both my lowsiders atleast), stock up on things that break when crashed, so you can fix it on track and get back out straight away.
Old 01-12-14, 08:02 PM   #7
L3nny
Mega Poster

If you want some cheap body work I have some pre-loved (and pre-crashed) fairings and a tank. Perfectly functional but a bit scraped. PM me if you're interested
Old 01-12-14, 09:55 PM   #8
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Crash bungs!
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-14, 09:37 PM   #9
JulesW

Default Re: SV as track day bike?

Good thread

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=188082&page=24
Old 04-12-14, 11:44 AM   #10
stranger12

Default Re: SV as track day bike?

many thanks all.

reg foot peg and ground clearence , when I last was doing track day and managed to get my knee down , I felt the foot peg did touch the ground and backed off.

i guess it wasn't my fault then rather the bike pegs are low and can touch the ground which I think is very dangerous .

can you instead of rearset which costs £300ish , get a footpeg raiser or something for cheap ? i will be doing some researching now