SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-08-06, 05:54 PM   #1
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Default Pete's Weekend With The Carbs!!!!

He's probably gonna kill me for this, but the following is what Pete had posted on our club site......................I couldn't resist sharing it with you all

My weekend was spent tinkering with the Sv. Nothing major, just took the carbs off in preparation for doing a dynojet on it later in the year. So got em off. Eventually got the float bowls off, a job prolonged by cheeselike screws, that had to be "persuaded out". Blew out the jets, then dismantled the chokes. Same crappy screws, same swear words. Cleaned them all up and reassembled with new stainless allen bolts that came with the dynojet kit. Oiled the cables. Put carbs back. Blast, the throttle cables need connecting to them first. Off they come. Fiddle ,fiddle, connected. Carbs on, all pipes reconnected. Damn and blast, throttle cables on wrong way round. Sweat on brow, Lissa hiding, I take them off again. Connect cables right way round. Push poke, carbs on. Connect throttle cables to twist grip. FU**ing HELL!. I've be trying to put cables in the wrong holes. Brief crying session, Lissa hiding in fall out bunker. Time for tea. Carbs off AGAIN, and with a vow that if it's wrong this time I'm just gonna torch the bike, I attempt to connect the cables. Flipping Heck. Success! Choke cable thankfully slots home and voila, bike runs. Don't know yet if it's made any difference to the running yet.

So much for a nice restful weekend though. How was yours?

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-06, 09:12 PM   #2
21QUEST
Mega Poster

<Couldn't help it Pete>

I always tell myself to remember to check I've got the cables the right way before putting the carbs back on. Guess what? I still forget to check and have to take the bleeding thing off again .

The worst part though is how long it took Pete to get a cuppa

Lissa

Cheers
Ben

PS: Mostly I was doing house work
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-06, 09:16 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

Apart from the throttle cable part, that's much how my first adventure with carbs went too... Along with a burnign desire to call up Jorge at Renegade and give him a stream of abuse for saying it'd be easy Luckily Viney, among others, told me how to fix it. Those screws are a disaster though. Wrong part in the wrong place.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-06, 06:01 AM   #4
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21QUEST
<Couldn't help it Pete>

I always tell myself to remember to check I've got the cables the right way before putting the carbs back on. Guess what? I still forget to check and have to take the bleeding thing off again .

The worst part though is how long it took Pete to get a cuppa

Lissa

Cheers
Ben

PS: Mostly I was doing house work
I've learned from experience NEVER to distract Pete wth a cuppa while he's having 'issues'

Besides, I was hiding in the fall-out shelter in case I got asked again to 'hold this while I hit it'

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-06, 09:06 AM   #5
jambo
Mega Poster

Excelent!

A little worried as I shall be helping Benji do pretty much the above next weekend. Is there a kit you can buy with all the screws and bolts that are likley to be trashed all in one handy package?
Old 22-08-06, 09:22 AM   #6
Viney
Mega Poster

Been there done that. I can now take carbs off, strip down, clean, jet if needed and back on the bike in about 30 mins. Removing the return throttle cable completley, really helps.

Did i northy?
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-06, 09:22 AM   #7
petevtwin650

My allen bolts came in the jetting kit, but I believe you can find replacement kits on ebay sometimes or get them from a stainless supplier. Sorry don't know the size only that the carb bottom screws are 12mm long and the ones for the choke were 16mm long. The choke ones were meant for the carb tops and are slightly long but went in without binding. Try and get hold of an impact driver for the job. So you need 6 screws (float chambers), 2 (choke) and 4 for the carb tops. 12 in total. And a long thin phillips screwdriver ( I used 1/4 inch drive extensions with a phillips bit) for the front carb to head clamp. And a torch.

Good luck
Old 22-08-06, 09:27 AM   #8
petevtwin650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
Been there done that. I can now take carbs off, strip down, clean, jet if needed and back on the bike in about 30 mins. Removing the return throttle cable completley, really helps.

Did i northy?
That's the sort of comment that made me do it in the first place

In reality for a first timer it's a real bind. Glad I did it though. Next time I'll rejet too.
Old 22-08-06, 03:29 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

It's not just a question of practice, it's genuinely hard to do the first time no matter what- those screws weren't a good idea in the first place, but once they've been on the bike for 5 or more years, they're not keen on moving. But, do it once, and reassemble with proper bolts (M5x12, I believe) and it's really pretty simple.

Viney, you saved me from committing murder by suggesting removing the choke from the control end, then removing it once the carbs were off the bike... Very welcome, that was.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote