SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-02-05, 02:24 PM   #1
leatherpatches

Default Lightning!!

Was riding home from Exeter to Plymouth last Tuesday and as I reached the top of Holden Hill (a big one) some lightning came down and a tree on the other side of the road, some 30 metres away, exploded in a shower of sparks and fire.

I was shocked to say the least and quickly started worrying about getting hit. It was 9.30pm and there was very little traffic on the road, making me the highest bloody thing around when I reached the crest of a hill.

So, was I in as much danger as I felt?

I know that in a car you are protected according to Faraday's cage principle. But what about on a bike?
Old 11-02-05, 02:25 PM   #2
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Default Re: Lightning!!

Just don't put your feet down

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-05, 02:29 PM   #3
Carsick

Default Re: Lightning!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs
Just don't put your feet down
no cage effect like with a car, but you might get away with it by not being grounded.
Old 11-02-05, 02:37 PM   #4
MavUK

You'd think, but I was watching a program on Discovery about it...

The whole idea of rubber on the deck doesn't count. It the lighting can arc from the sky to thye ground it will have no problam arcing from your bike to the ground...

Scary stuff - I walways try not to be out in thunderstorms, but have got caught in them a number of times halfway between home and the office (22 miles from home...)

Stu
Old 11-02-05, 02:41 PM   #5
Carsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavUK
The whole idea of rubber on the deck doesn't count. It the lighting can arc from the sky to thye ground it will have no problam arcing from your bike to the ground...
The point isn't whether it can arc, it's whether you'll send up appropriate positive streamers.
If you're not grounded then the streamers you send up will probably be alot weaker than those sent up by objects which are grounded. Therefore the lightning is alot less likely to strike you.
Old 11-02-05, 02:43 PM   #6
MavUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsick
Quote:
Originally Posted by MavUK
The point isn't whether it can arc, it's whether you'll send up appropriate positive streamers.
If you're not grounded then the streamers you send up will probably be alot weaker than those sent up by objects which are grounded. Therefore the lightning is alot less likely to strike you.
Good point, however the other problem - that I have no idea about is the compound of tyres. Whilst rubber isn't conductive, tyres stopped being rubber a while ago. Do the new materials conduct electricity?

Stu
Old 11-02-05, 02:47 PM   #7
Carsick

No idea if tyres are insulators or conductors.
Would assume insulator.
Old 11-02-05, 02:51 PM   #8
shutdown

explain to the police that you were trying to get away from the lightning when caught doung 100mph!

straight to the looney bin
Old 11-02-05, 02:54 PM   #9
Anonymous

I think indeed you are less likely to be struck than an adjacent grounded object. However if you do you are rather screwed as even if insulated the bolt is going to be sufficiently 'distracting' that you will inevitably crash Whereas if you were standing around in rubber soles you would be knocked the ground, stand up a bit later somewhat confused* but having not crashed be sore but alive.

Someone asked this once before and we had a few examples from the US.

*excepting many forum members who are confused before even being struck by lightning.
Old 11-02-05, 03:06 PM   #10
Ceri JC

Don't get your pegs down in a thunderstorm