SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-02-09, 12:11 PM   #1
Tomtoms

Default Help needed about YBR125 side stand.

Hi guys,

right, my girlfriend has got a Yamaha YBR 125 and it only has a centre stand...she cant get the hang of it and wants a side stand. (iv told her its not just about brut strength and more of a knack, but she still cant manage it...)

Anyway, Yamaha have discontinued their side stand from the spare parts range as it doesnt have a cut out switch fitted, apparently there is a new regulation that states a side stand has to have a cut out switch.

I have found a generic side stand that literally bolts on to a tube section of the frame and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with aftermarket generic stands.....

here is a link to the one i have found...
http://motorcycleproducts.co.uk/cata...3578078e8a25a5

(i will work out what size to choose later as there are 3 different lengths)

any thoughts? or advice...
Old 09-02-09, 12:34 PM   #2
missyburd

Default Re: Help needed about YBR125 side stand...

Hmmm no advice sorry but I can empathise with the centrestand problem, I hate the things. My CBT instructor spent a good 10 minutes trying to get me to do it but I the bike was too heavy, then I just said, "isn't that a sidestand right there?" and promptly used it, he was surprised for some reason...

Hope you find one anyway. I thought most bikes these days had a sidestand as well as a centrestand if they have one at all?
Old 09-02-09, 01:16 PM   #3
Tomtoms

cheers, well the newer model has both, but her 2007 model only has centre stand!

they are a bit annoying for everyday use....
Old 09-02-09, 01:18 PM   #4
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtoms View Post
cheers, well the newer model has both, but her 2007 model only has centre stand!
Ah fairy nuff. Am sure someone helpful will be along soon
Old 09-02-09, 02:32 PM   #5
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyorkie_chris View Post
My CBT instructor spent a good 10 minutes trying to get me to do it but I the bike was too heavy,
You think that a CBT bike is heavy? - it's obvious that you've never tried to pull a GPZ750 Turbo or a GT750 Suzuki onto their centre-stands.
Old 09-02-09, 04:33 PM   #6
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
You think that a CBT bike is heavy? - it's obvious that you've never tried to pull a GPZ750 Turbo or a GT750 Suzuki onto their centre-stands.
no just wasn't used to the weight, it was more the bulk of it that was the pain. It was some japanese thing, can't remember the name offhand but I had a play on a newer cg125 a week after and that was absolutely fine. Probably just having a bad day
Old 09-02-09, 04:37 PM   #7
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Help needed about YBR125 side stand.

Don;t worry maria, i know what your on about. could never do the centre stand trick. My body just ain't designed to perform such trickery. Its not about the weight at all, they ain't heavy........especially seeing as though you are much shorter than me too

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 04:43 PM   #8
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
Don;t worry maria, i know what your on about. could never do the centre stand trick. My body just ain't designed to perform such trickery. Its not about the weight at all, they ain't heavy........especially seeing as though you are much shorter than me too
I ent that much shorter than you! just cos you like rock boots

No the weight shouldn't matter, tis all about technique which I couldn't be bothered to master once I saw there was a sidestand
Old 10-02-09, 07:41 AM   #9
Tomtoms

so does anyone have any advice about the generic side stands in the link above in 1st post?
Old 10-02-09, 07:55 AM   #10
MattCollins

What about your local breakers?

Cheers