SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 09-11-07, 10:36 AM   #1
rigor

Default COBRA and P.A.T.R.I.O.T.

Ok, not really related to anything at all, but after hearing about the flood warnings for the E of England, and that the PM had called COBRA to discuss contingency plans, it made me wonder what COBRA stood for.... so I looked it up....

Cabinet Office Briefing Room A

Well, that's exciting. Definitely smacks of someone realising that a good name will make people think that "something is being done". Rather than just a normal meeting of civil servants and ministers. Reminds me of George Bush's nice little act:

Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001

Do you think they came up with the abbreviation first, then had someone look up words to fit it?? (U.S.A. P.A.T.R.I.O.T Act) How could any American not want an act with Patriot in the name FFS.

I'm surprised that the Labour party hasn't renamed itself iLabour
Old 09-11-07, 10:55 AM   #2
neio79

Default Re: COBRA and P.A.T.R.I.O.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigor View Post

Cabinet Office Briefing Room A

Well, that's exciting.
Its not that exciting, the PM wont be in attendance normally, just seniot civil servants, members of the Armed forces if required and reps from other acencys. The last time the PM attended a COBRA brief was for foot and mouth in 2001.

they also have little room to the side where the SF lot sit if needed .

we have had to put some kit in there and its a right pain as we get put offf quite a bit cos silly litle brief start.

the more intersting rooms are across the coridor where 5 & 6 sit!
Old 09-11-07, 11:01 AM   #3
rigor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neio79 View Post
they also have little room to the side where the SF lot sit if needed .
See that sounds more exciting. It conjures up images of someone sitting there and saying "I'm very sorry Mr X" pressing a button and all these SF guys jumping out of a hidden room and splattering his brains all over the wall.

Life would be so much more exciting if I was in charge
Old 09-11-07, 11:23 AM   #4
neio79

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigor View Post
See that sounds more exciting. It conjures up images of someone sitting there and saying "I'm very sorry Mr X" pressing a button and all these SF guys jumping out of a hidden room and splattering his brains all over the wall.

Life would be so much more exciting if I was in charge

not sure if they have little buttons to summon them, its more ofa briefing planning room that the SF use based upon any of the things discussed.

the last time i was there it ws just after the Brits when missing in Ethiopia, and they still had satalite images of the area and cars on the walls wit hmaps up. was cool to see.