SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-06-22, 05:52 PM   #1
redtrummy

Default Any Sourdough bakers out there?

Just wondered - started in lockdown, now all other bread (well most) tastes crap
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-22, 07:13 PM   #2
yokohama

Default Re: Any Sourdough bakers out there?

I've been making sourdough off and on for the past few years. I started when I was working in China because the local bread was sweet, crap or expensive. I smuggled the starter home, foreign Chinese microbes and all. and kept it going for quite a while.
The taste and texture is much better than shop bought but ironically, I gave up during lockdown. Got fed up of kneading, rising, needing, proofing, bread every week just to keep the starter going. I'll probably come back to it eventually and I still bake my own bread but tend to go for Grant loaves or Soda bread these days, which only take an hour or two.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-22, 11:07 AM   #3
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I used to make a lot. Less so since we moved to a house with limited kitchen space. One thing I found over the few years was that the lazier I got the better the bread got. I now use a no knead method and a casserole dish. I mix ingredients, fairly wet to start as it firms up as it sits and then pull up the edges and stretch them an push down into the middle rotating the mixing bowl. Only about 8 stretches done a couple of times with half hour between. Then I throw it in a floured casserole with the lid on and leave it for ages to prove depending on time of year and how active the starter was. Then when it's time to cook, oven cranked up as high as it will go and lid on the casserole and blast it for half an hour. Turn it out of the casserole and onto the oven shelf to crisp up for another 15 mins or so with the oven on lower heat.
Writing this makes it sound like a lot but there's really not much involvement. The less interfering and kneading I've done the better the result. Flour and water can do a lot of autolysing left sitting on it's own. People often mistake the result of that for the hard work kneading they've put in.

Last edited by Adam Ef; 26-06-22 at 11:08 AM.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-22, 01:27 PM   #4
redtrummy

Yes Adam I used to 'no knead' Had consistent results, never managing to get an open crumb (but how do you spread your butter on that?) Did get a good ear and the bread was well received. BUT then I ordered flour in bulk. I thought I had ordered 16kg of wholemeal and 16kg of bread flour - no 32kg of wholemeal turned up, that is a lot of flour! Sold about half to a friend and took up wholemeal loaves and they do need working and I have not yet managed a good rise, results a bit flat but a nice even crumb and great taste.

Last year I followed this mad Germans process for quick bread and it worked really well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi-zqG5y1I8 3 min Sourdough bread

May have a play with wholemeal to see if I can get a result along similar lines
Keep baking!
Old 26-06-22, 05:06 PM   #5
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I've never had much luck with wholemeal flour. I sometimes use 25 percent wholemeal and it comes out like a wholemeal but with more open texture. I followed Hugh Fernely Whiteringons's advice a few years ago and avoided being good at about food miles with flour choice. Unfortunately the best stuff is the strong Canadian white bread flour. I've never used anything else since trying it. If you want really good stuff buy Waitrose's own brand Canadian.
Old 26-06-22, 06:53 PM   #6
redtrummy

well the grand plan was to do 50/50, but incompetence in ordering put paid to that So I have a challenge - crack 100% wholemeal! Apparently its more healthy anyway.
50% of the flour is Canadian,the other European.
(source Shiptons Mill not too far away from you)
No Waitrose around here just Lidl Aldi Morrisons and Asda - cheap part of the country!
Old 27-06-22, 08:15 AM   #7
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I'd use 100% white until you're getting results you want and then gradually add small percentages of wholemeal to see what effect it has. I know wholemeal is a lot more thirsty and heavier too. Working with as wet a dough as you can handle and having a really hot oven for the initial blast it receives helps too.
Old 27-06-22, 09:02 PM   #8
redtrummy

Trouble is the freezer is half full of wholemeal flour and my fruit crop is beginning to come on line, so I will persevere until the wholemeal flour is somewhat depleted, I was pretty happy with my 50/50 but there,s always room for improvement!
Old 27-06-22, 09:23 PM   #9
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Do you need to freeze flour? I've never frozen it.
Old 28-06-22, 08:38 AM   #10
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I keep my (wholemeal) flour in a large, round, industrial quality bin with a lid. I buy 25kgs at a time and that keeps perfectly well for anything up to 10 months. Quality starts to drop off a bit after that, and the bread doesn't rise quite as vigorously, but it's still ok.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote