SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-05-08, 08:37 AM   #1

Default vent....

grrrrr.

I am now though with this place.. I enjoy my work generally and enjoy building what were building but really this place is full of utter muppets..

I have had a massive FEATURE stair case desingned and approved by the architect & structural engineers and the steel frame engineers come the week of installation.... Site team goes... "can we move it 150mm that way, it shouldnt be too hard..." this is to avoid a wall that shouldnt have been errected yet and can be easilly demounted ..... (metal stud)

I have said No.... or if they want to it will need to go back to the drawing board completley and all approvals re sought...

This is the third meeting / discussion i have been dragged into where strangely enough I have said the same thing all three times... why do they not understand....

Its not just this thing its everyday... all day.. cant get anything done because im too busy holding thier hands over every little ****ing little thing...

TF we finish in 2 months and I can get out of here.... its pure madness I say.. utter utter studity and maddness.....
Old 30-05-08, 08:48 AM   #2
G
Mega Poster

Default Re: vent....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819 View Post
stuff

I hate projects that get managed like that, the meetings go on and on every week and nothing is achieved or finalised as no one wants to make the decision and face getting the blame for lost time or compensation events.

I sometimes wonder why I work in the construction industry.
Old 30-05-08, 08:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemepaterson View Post
I hate projects that get managed like that, the meetings go on and on every week and nothing is achieved or finalised as no one wants to make the decision and face getting the blame for lost time or compensation events.

I sometimes wonder why I work in the construction industry.
the rate of staff turn over must be 2 a month, we are on our 3rd senior project manager, 3rd set of QS's, Im acting design manager because our design manager left when I'm actually a design coordinator and whislt most of the design is doen we still have RDD items to sort and the day to day "stuff"

this is an awful project and we tried to have lessons learned meetings to voice what went wrong on phase 1 so it didnt get repeated, and I spent the entire time trying to get the senior construction manager out of my throat because he decided everythign was the architects fault and I was just trying to ask if we have educated our new architects to avoid these faults for phase 2....

I guess they dont want me to try and help...

boo hoo winge
Old 30-05-08, 09:10 AM   #4
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
the rate of staff turn over must be 2 a month, we are on our 3rd senior project manager, 3rd set of QS's,
Your not kidding there, are staff turnover is massive at the moment for one reason and another, another big effect is unless your working on PFI's and similar funded projects alot of other work is drying up as developers cant get the backing and funding.

Fortunately stuff will always get designed so we are still in jobs, they just wont get funding to build it lol

Quote:
this is an awful project and we tried to have lessons learned meetings to voice what went wrong on phase 1 so it didnt get repeated, and I spent the entire time trying to get the senior construction manager out of my throat because he decided everythign was the architects fault and I was just trying to ask if we have educated our new architects to avoid these faults for phase 2....

I guess they dont want me to try and help...
Some design teams are so proactive and easy to get on with and take in alot I say and appreciate it, then others have next to no interest and its hard work and its those project I hate....and sounds like you do too.
Old 30-05-08, 09:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemepaterson View Post
Your not kidding there, are staff turnover is massive at the moment for one reason and another, another big effect is unless your working on PFI's and similar funded projects alot of other work is drying up as developers cant get the backing and funding.

Fortunately stuff will always get designed so we are still in jobs, they just wont get funding to build it lol

Some design teams are so proactive and easy to get on with and take in alot I say and appreciate it, then others have next to no interest and its hard work and its those project I hate....and sounds like you do too.
well naturally rather than keep a design "team" for phase 2 we sacked them all and are starting from scratch hence the lessons learnt... or not..

The sad thing is I have actually handed my notice in about 4 months ago but for personal reasons it wasnt practical to move so I decided to stay.... i leave here more and more in dispair.. at least the 3am panics have changed to 7am late starts waving my white flag as I arrive on site.

I hope and pray for a job that I get hold off before it hits site.

Im working PFI BSF at the moment, it has the potential for great things... Ruined by us..

I stand by my statement.. "(insert company name here) making building rocket science sine 2006"... sad but true..

Whats your position then?
Old 30-05-08, 09:33 AM   #6
Ed

Why is the construction industry at war with itself? I act for a civil engineering company - they generate more litigation than all my other clients put together. I'm not complaining! - but there must be better ways to do things. And it seems that internally it's the same. Why doesn't your client insist that someone makes a decision?
Old 30-05-08, 09:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
Why is the construction industry at war with itself? I act for a civil engineering company - they generate more litigation than all my other clients put together. I'm not complaining! - but there must be better ways to do things. And it seems that internally it's the same. Why doesn't your client insist that someone makes a decision?
money... simple as..

There is no Give and Take... i.e. I caused you hassle, but you caused me delay so lets call it quits,

Senior managments are under so much pressure to show profit that they littigate all the time, I am under a lot of pressure to back up all architect failings, when I can sympathise with him as his contract expired months and months ago, but senior managers wont accept that... Contractors have it bad but bugger me the last thing id want to be is an architect right now..