SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Hardware Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 19-03-09, 04:40 PM   #1
L3nny
Mega Poster

Default Scala Rider Q2 mini review

Just bought 3 of these for me and my 2 mates I am planning on touring Europe with this summer. Thought I'd let you know how I got on with them seeing as I couldn't really find much information on them.

Got them through the post yesterday, took me about 5 minutes to clip it onto my X-Lite helmet and pairing it with my mobile phone was as easy as using any other bluetooth headset.

Went round to one of my mates house last night to set it up on his helmet, he has a AGV with a wind protection bit that goes around the bottom of the helmet, this meant there was no way the headset could fit to his helmet. We have emailed the manufacturer to see if there is anything we can do but as yet no reply.

Also noticed a bit in the manual which isn't anywhere on there website. You can pair 3 headsets together but it works on a master/slave system, so you have 1 master and 2 slaves, the 2 slave headsets can talk to the master but they cannot talk to each other which is a bit rubbish.

Went out for a blast this afternoon and tried using my phone while riding, called my mate using voice activated dialing and this worked great, I then went out on a dual carriageway and we could both hear each other perfectly clearly at 70mph.

I did notice however that when doing lifesavers and blind spot checks the unit can snag on your shoulder. This will probably not be so much of an issue on a bike with normal handlebars due to the riding position.

So my conclusion is it's a good bit of kit but has some major limitations.

If you are only planning on using 2 headsets i.e. if you only go riding with the missus or one mate they are an excellent bit of kit, or if you want to use your mobile when riding they are great. If however you want to use more than 2 sets at a time and you can't fit them to your helmet they are not so good.

Can't comment on range etc as I never got to use them with us both on the bikes.

Gonna wait to see what the manufacturer says re my mate's AGV helmet, if no joy they may be on a for sale board near you!