SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-06-22, 10:04 PM   #1
egcSV650s

Default Electrical Fault?

Im a bit confused as to what is going on with my bike at the moment. Ive got a 2005 SV650s. A few years ago my low beam wouldnt work and ended up being the wiring in the block connector behind the radiator that had burnt for the low beam. Fast forward 3 years and now ive got another issue. My high beam light on the dash is constantly on but i havent got any low or high beam or any front indicators but my rear indicators and brake light works fine. Has anyone had this issue before or does anyone know what it could be? Thanks
egcSV650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-22, 11:49 PM   #2
svenrico

Default Re: Electrical Fault?

Not being funny but could the age of the bike have something to do with it ? Do electrics deteriorate with age ?
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-22, 07:29 AM   #3
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by egcSV650s View Post
Im a bit confused as to what is going on with my bike at the moment. Ive got a 2005 SV650s. A few years ago my low beam wouldnt work and ended up being the wiring in the block connector behind the radiator that had burnt for the low beam. Fast forward 3 years and now ive got another issue. My high beam light on the dash is constantly on but i havent got any low or high beam or any front indicators but my rear indicators and brake light works fine. Has anyone had this issue before or does anyone know what it could be? Thanks
Electrical gremlins like this are notoriously difficult to find, especially when we don't have access to the bike.

I would have speculated that it might be related to a ground/earth/negative path return in the fairing assembly since that is common to lights and turn signals. Maybe the headlights are trying to ground themselves through the high beam warning causing it to illuminate - just a wild guess.

Usual suspects are plugs/sockets because corrosion can build up and cause issues. So separating connectors, inspecting/cleaning and spraying with a contact cleaner is a good idea. Other issues are caused by the constant turning of the handlebars stressing and breaking wires.

I did a quick search and found this:
https://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=230792

and this:
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=117424
Old 22-06-22, 09:25 AM   #4
egcSV650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
Not being funny but could the age of the bike have something to do with it ? Do electrics deteriorate with age ?
I knew age could be a factor but was wondering where is best to start looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Electrical gremlins like this are notoriously difficult to find, especially when we don't have access to the bike.

I would have speculated that it might be related to a ground/earth/negative path return in the fairing assembly since that is common to lights and turn signals. Maybe the headlights are trying to ground themselves through the high beam warning causing it to illuminate - just a wild guess.

Usual suspects are plugs/sockets because corrosion can build up and cause issues. So separating connectors, inspecting/cleaning and spraying with a contact cleaner is a good idea. Other issues are caused by the constant turning of the handlebars stressing and breaking wires.

I did a quick search and found this:
https://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=230792

and this:
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=117424
Yeah it could be ground as if there was a problem with the block connector no light should show on the dash maybe? But i was thinking maybe the block connector behind the radiator as thats what happened when my low beam wire burnt out but there was no lights coming up on the dash. Suppose its one of those things of process by elimination. Ill start with checking the ground first. Do you know where the ground points for the headlight is?
Old 22-06-22, 10:19 AM   #5
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by egcSV650s View Post
Do you know where the ground points for the headlight is?
Sorry, no I don't have a pointy. I doubt that it will be a specific point, more likely a black/white wire that loops between the various devices but will probably be in a connector under the tank.
Old 22-06-22, 11:46 AM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

the most common connector that causes this on the pointy S is the one below the instrument cluster. you need to take the headlight and cowl off to get at it. you need to release the block to take the headlight and cowl off so it requires a bit of dexterity and juggling.

the other connectors are the ones behind the radiator. these are for the l/r switchgear and ignition.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-22, 08:47 PM   #7
egcSV650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Sorry, no I don't have a pointy. I doubt that it will be a specific point, more likely a black/white wire that loops between the various devices but will probably be in a connector under the tank.
Thank you, ill have a look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
the most common connector that causes this on the pointy S is the one below the instrument cluster. you need to take the headlight and cowl off to get at it. you need to release the block to take the headlight and cowl off so it requires a bit of dexterity and juggling.

the other connectors are the ones behind the radiator. these are for the l/r switchgear and ignition.
Ah right, so can i get to the connector without doing what i done last time which was taking tank and airbox off as would rather go from the front as thats easier i think and more room to re wire if need be?
Old 23-06-22, 11:53 AM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

its a different connector from the ones behind the radiator. the connector you are looking for is under the instrument cluster inside the front upper fairing (noise cone).
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-22, 03:19 PM   #9
egcSV650s

Ah brilliant, thank you. Thats my weekend sorted then haha
Old 24-06-22, 07:46 PM   #10
egcSV650s

Thank you Bibio for telling me about just taking the front cowl off instead of what I done before which was taking the tank and airbox off and struggling to get to the connector. Not sure why I done that before lol but took the front cowl off and one of the connector pins had burnt out so cut and rewired and working again