SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-07-22, 12:11 PM   #21
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: Tiiiimber!!

... and he's just blamed the Tory party "herd instinct" for what's happened ............

"It's not me, it's them!"

Old 07-07-22, 05:03 PM   #22
Seeker
Mega Poster

Our ex-PM and his life (created by "Led by Donkeys" but pulled from reddit (about 9mins long)
https://old.reddit.com/r/Damnthatsin...boris_johnson/
Old 07-07-22, 07:23 PM   #23
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
If only there was an effective opposition...
Personally, I think the binary concept of "government" and "opposition" is part of the problem: 'I'm right, you're wrong' is no way to have a proper debate and to achieve consensus on what's best for the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
The huge problem facing us right here right now is that so many Tories have resigned their posts that there is no functioning government, and that cannot simply be rolled back. If you resign you resign, that's it, they are no longer ministers. All those posts need to have people appointed to them for the departments to work.
There's 600+ other MPs in Parliament. At £80k+pa each they should bl**dy well organise themselves to make it work. Accountability for running the country sits with all of them IMHO.

(Yes, I recognise the practical cultural barrier that impedes this at present. The party system is too primitive. Might as well just have a handful of people given the way party allegiances are enforced at voting time in the Commons - it's hardly a house of representatives. We've all been lulled into a mindset that having "a majority" up front is necessary for effective delivery - I think that's a fallacy and I'd rather see administration by the collaborative achievement of wide consensus rather than ill-thought-out items forced through on blunt 'majority rules' principle - especially when that majority is a whip-enforced party line. Whatever happened to the skilis of influencing - persuasion, negotiation, selling etc.? As I said, a cultural paradigm shift will be needed to achieve it, but I live in hope.)

Quote:
... and he's just blamed the Tory party "herd instinct" for what's happened ............
Somewhat ironically, for once he's probably correct. Groupthink and populism pervade our society. (Doesn't mean he isn't at fault though - leadership is about making people want to follow, not about wielding force over them from higher position.)
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-22, 08:19 PM   #24
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:

"It's not me, it's them!"

I have been haranguing my MP for years about dePfeffel's lack of ethics and the fact that he (my MP) was supportive. My MP said today that he thought Boris should stay although he realised that this was no longer possible. Good grief.

I asked once what BoZo would have to do for my MP to stop supporting him. I was genuinely curious. My MP seldom responds, probably because I'm scathingly critical of hypocrisy and untrustworthiness (and I'm a leftie) so I never received an answer.

BoZo's character has been on full display ever since he entered public life, he is truly an awful specimen of humanity. The fact that it has taken a Conservative herd so long to locate their moral compasses is dismaying. Their tolerance of lies, deceit and corruption is far higher than mine.

There is a story starting to circulate that Boris wants to stay on as PM because he's planning a lavish wedding reception at Chequers. True or not? If he denies it, would you believe him?
Old 08-07-22, 08:58 AM   #25
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

I saw the speech on the news (he did NOT say resign) and the pundits chatting afterwards. But all I could focus on was the sound system blaring in the background playing a rehash of the Bay City Rollers song that now has Bye Bye Boris as the main hook in the lyrics.

Steve Bray getting his revenge possibly?
Old 08-07-22, 06:07 PM   #26
GeorgeRYoung

Hmmm, despite his behaviour, he'll still be know as the 'Right Honourable Boris Johnson', believe it or not.
Old 08-07-22, 06:47 PM   #27
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I think "The Right Dishonourable Scumbag de Pfeffel" would be a better description and title.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-22, 04:57 AM   #28
Seeker
Mega Poster

You have probably all seen the "Hitler in the bunker" rant, the one where various subtitles have been superimposed. Here it is again with topical subtitles. (it's a twitter feed which tinyurl reduced)

https://tinyurl.com/38ar7sbv
Old 09-07-22, 09:13 PM   #29
embee
Mega Poster

Old 10-07-22, 09:19 AM   #30
Ruffy

I see it's mainly the usual suspects vying to be the next leader.

I'm yet to be convinced that's going to lead to significant difference for the nation, given how close most of them were to previous Cabinet.

Buckle up, it's probably still going to be a very tough year ahead.
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote