SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-04-06, 02:37 PM   #1
Toypop

Default Anyone got a Shoei X-Spirit?

This is a question rather than a review (and couldn't find a review) so I hope I am posting in the right place.

I am thinking of buying a Shoei X-Spirit in just the plain Silver and am after opinions.

I am interested in the wind noise levels and how well the breath deflector works - are they good for being mist resistant?

Also I was going to order one online for the best deal and can't be arsed to go to a dealer so I am wondering how the sizes compared to other makes? I take a size small in my budget Nitro, Shark and other previous helmets so do Shoei and in particular that model tend to be tight or loose for their size? I have always found smalls to be a either perfect or a tad tight depending on the model but mediums have always been way too loose when I yank them from side to side.

Cheers.
Old 17-04-06, 04:09 PM   #2
Balky001
Mega Poster

I bought an Eddie Lawson X-Spirit rep a few weeks ago (see avatar).

Wind noise, slightly quieter than my Arai Quantum F. Breath deflector I took off as with all lids they seem to irritate my nose. But the Shoei comes with Pinlock as standard and it is fabulous and no misting so breath deflector is not that important uless you eat a lot of garlic.

I'm a medium size with all lids I try. The Shoei is slightly tighter than my Arai but gives me a better fit, but then that's my head shape.

The best benefit is how light (and safe) it is - I'd thoroughly recommend it.
Old 17-04-06, 06:17 PM   #3
wheelnut

I have been trying helmets today, A Shoei XR1000 and a Raid 2, A Dainesse and a couple of AGV reps

I just cant get on with the strap clip on the the Shoei, is it just me? :P

I have an AGV Flyer at present
Old 17-04-06, 07:31 PM   #4
Toypop

How did you find the Shoei sizes compared to the others? Did you need a tighter/looser/same size as usual?
Old 17-04-06, 09:13 PM   #5
wheelnut

I tried a small XR1000 and a medium Raid, couldnt really tell the difference. I then tried a medium Dainesse and it was massive.

That is the problem with buying helmets mail order. I need to go to Padgetts or somewhere who stock every range
Old 18-04-06, 03:24 PM   #6
copper kettle

I have a shoei XR1000 and find that its great. I tried them on in the shops then bought one online as it was so much cheaper and have no issues to report. I don't have the neck curtain on mine and it can be quite noisy at high speeds but then i wear ear plugs and that does the job. The helmet is very light and i do feel very safe. It's a fair bit cheaper than the X-Spirit and a quality piece of kit. Hope this helps.

Dan
Old 18-04-06, 03:45 PM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Go to your local dealer and try one one find out what size fits you best and then buy it online

IMHO its not worth guessing with lid sizes.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-06, 05:00 PM   #8
Toypop

Funnily enough I just got back from the dealers and it turns out it was a worthwhile trip despite the horrific traffic.

The Shoei sizes appear to be far tighter than helmets I have tried before. So instead of a small I am medium with the Shoei. I get 10% off cos I got my bike from them so it will be £340 for the plain silver x spirit that matches my bike therefore not really worth buying online. Trouble is I have to wait as they have ordered one in for Monday.
Old 19-04-06, 01:19 PM   #9
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default X Spirit

Ouch! I paid £300 for a Kato rep X Spirit at (of all places) the NEC show last November.They were doing them at Ally Pally as well.Search "Helmet City" and compare prices.
A really top lid BTW in every way.
Old 19-04-06, 03:59 PM   #10
Toypop

Yeah you can get the Kato or Norick for £299 at helmet city but unfortunately not the plain silver or any decent colours

Got my hopes up then as I was about to the ring the dealers and tell them to cancel!