SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-05-07, 07:40 PM   #1
ejohnh

Default Anyone modded a pillion seat to take a Givi M35 monorack plate?

I just imported a Givi V46 Topbox, M35 plate and mounting kit from Italy. I also bought a second hand pillion seat. What I want to do is to mount the Topbox onto the spare pillion seat(base) via the M35 givi topplate. Anybody done that? Any tips?

If it works I'll flog the Givi mounting kit unused. If it doesn't I'll use the pillion base to carry a rear pack in addition to the top box.

I read some posts a while back about the givi mounting kit being prone to fracture. It looks pretty stong to me .
Old 14-05-07, 08:00 PM   #2
hovis

Default Re: Anyone modded a pillion seat to take a Givi M35 monorack plate?

another sv with a topbox...... tut tut, although its a black nakid, so it dont matter

anywho

it has been discused. the thinking was that the key latch system might not be up to it.

do a search,
Old 14-05-07, 08:06 PM   #3
skumlerud

Default Re: Anyone modded a pillion seat to take a Givi M35 monorack plate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejohnh View Post
I just imported a Givi V46 Topbox, M35 plate and mounting kit from Italy. I also bought a second hand pillion seat. What I want to do is to mount the Topbox onto the spare pillion seat(base) via the M35 givi topplate. Anybody done that? Any tips?
It should work, but beware that the pillion seat lock isn't designed to cope with the forces a loaded top box bouncing up and down generates. It's completely different to a passenger - the passenger isn't bolted to the seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejohnh View Post
I read some posts a while back about the givi mounting kit being prone to fracture. It looks pretty stong to me .
Try riding behind someone with a Givi Monorack and a fully loaded topbox and see how the box bounces up and down. Most of the weight of the box is carried by the rear mounting bolts, and the mounting kit tends to rust from inside at this point.