SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-04-06, 12:30 PM   #1
tricky

Default Satelite Navigation

Borrowed a tomtom add on for the IPaq yesterday and was less than impressed.

It was normally a case of "In 300 yards turn right" and then 75 yards down the road "Turn right now!"

Is this just a case of the Ipaq/Bluetooth running slowly, or are all tomtom units just crap at judging distances ?
Old 10-04-06, 12:52 PM   #2
enginedriver

I use a similar combination in the car and although it can be a bit off with distances I have to say that overall I am very impressed. I travel a lot with the job and by and large it gets me where I need to be with very little difficulty.

The only time I have had a problem was when approaching red traffic lights and it has instructed me to proceed ahead and twice now have I started to cross the junction....didn't cross the line fortunately but it does demonstrate how I, at least, have been programmed to respond to verbal prompts

I blame the missus....always nagging at me, I'm just used to doing as I'm told
Old 10-04-06, 01:02 PM   #3
tigersaw
Mega Poster

At least it didn't send you over a cliff;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/n...re/4879026.stm
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-06, 01:06 PM   #4
tricky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersaw
At least it didn't send you over a cliff;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/n...re/4879026.stm
Old 10-04-06, 01:07 PM   #5
Balky001
Mega Poster

I have an old (2 years) Garmin Streetpilot III and the TomTom 300/500/700 are miles ahead of it (no pun intended) - you can reprogramme with a couple of touches on the screen and I found it was exact, even around the streets of London whereas the Garmin estimates your place within 49 feet which could be 3 turnoffs in the busier areas. I think maybe the add on slowed the system down
Old 10-04-06, 01:31 PM   #6
Viney
Mega Poster

Like all these systems, they are a guide not an exact type thing, and imho are open to interpretation. The maps are very accurate, and you need to take in the verbal instructions, and well as the graphical data. Once you do this, they are fantastic. I brought my girlfirend one as she is nagigationaly challenged to say the least. After a few wrong turns, she is slowly getting the hand of it. I like trying to confuse it
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-06, 01:38 PM   #7
timwilky
Mega Poster

I use tomtom 5 with an ipaq 4500 and blue tooth gps. In the main it works quite well. A few silly glitches like a road near my home that has been closed by way of a metal gate for the last 15 years that it trys to send me home by. but apart from that it works very well.

My son is a tiler and works all over the country. He has no sense of direction and uses his every day, simply enter the post code where he is working that day and off you go. Pity the maps & post codes cannot be updated monthly. (Perhaps they can but I didn't get a manual with the £10 CD containing my copy of tomtom)

You only do get two warnings and advance one at about 400yds and then an instruction to turn. However, look at the little diagram in the bottom left, it tells you what your next manouvre will be and distance so plenty of advanced warning.

My only issue was finding out how to get the ipaq to automatically connect to the blue tooth gps. I ended up having to install a regedit program and then adding a parameter