SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-02-11, 06:12 PM   #1
Gazza77

Default Insurers, don't you just love 'em

A couple of weeks ago, prior to going test riding, I called my insurers (Simply Bikes) to get a quote. They took all the details, and quickly and helpfully came back to me to advise that there would be approx a £65 increase to the end of my policy for a Benelli Tornado. Given I only paid £143 this year for the Sprint, I was happy enough with that.

A week later, I got a letter from Simply, advising they were giving up offering bike cover, and my policy would be transferring to Swinton for the duration. Today I called Swinton to transfer the policy to the Benelli. After 5 mins on hold, I was advised that "the underwriter won't cover sports bikes", so I had to have a quote for 12 months with a different underwriter. This came out at nearly £1100.

I now have a choice of cancelling the Sprint policy (getting me an 89p refund after cancellation charges) and getting a policy elsewhere, or paying the 12 months with Swinton. With a quote of less than £350 elsewhere, guess what I'll be doing.

Then Triumph Sprint ST with scottoiler and R&Gs & TOR exhaust

Now Benelli Tornado
Gazza77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 06:47 PM   #2
davepreston

Default Re: Insurers, don't you just love 'em

id phone them and ask how much for any ride any bike addition to your current policy (if they ask so you can test ride new bikes your looking at )which they have to honnor, it may be a extra 50 quid but keeps you from doing a fresh 12 month policy, also note you'll need to check if its 3rd party only on any bike or full comp
hth

Last edited by davepreston; 03-02-11 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-02-11, 06:47 PM   #3
sv4me
Mega Poster

D'oh! i'm sure some insurance companies just think of a number and double it. Lovely bike btw

Complete other end of the scale but i'm having fun and games with my insurers at the minute, seeing what they'll charge me next. I cancelled my old scoot off my policy so it was just my ninja for last month. My premium for TPF+T went from £28 to £6 a month.....

I've now added my Duke to the policy and when it came to the quotation screen I wasnt looking forward to the porking I was going to get off them.....it said for this month I would be charged -19.16. I've even got the documents through today confirming that amount! Sure its a glitch and im pretty sure they wont stick to it, but i'm checking my bank tomorrow to see what they take. If theyre true to their word, i'll be getting paid to ride a Ducati

Watch this they'll take £150 off me now i've said that.....
sv4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 08:15 PM   #4
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

haha

you need to screen shot that and show us if it happens

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 08:59 PM   #5
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza77 View Post
A couple of weeks ago, prior to going test riding, I called my insurers (Simply Bikes) to get a quote. They took all the details, and quickly and helpfully came back to me to advise that there would be approx a £65 increase to the end of my policy for a Benelli Tornado. Given I only paid £143 this year for the Sprint, I was happy enough with that.

A week later, I got a letter from Simply, advising they were giving up offering bike cover, and my policy would be transferring to Swinton for the duration. Today I called Swinton to transfer the policy to the Benelli. After 5 mins on hold, I was advised that "the underwriter won't cover sports bikes", so I had to have a quote for 12 months with a different underwriter. This came out at nearly £1100.

I now have a choice of cancelling the Sprint policy (getting me an 89p refund after cancellation charges) and getting a policy elsewhere, or paying the 12 months with Swinton. With a quote of less than £350 elsewhere, guess what I'll be doing.
I could have told you that , infact I thought I'd posted about it - *******s aren't they -swinton were a grand more for me too. think bikesure were cheap for me but you'll have to get ringing!

Dave's ideas a good'n

Last edited by Dave20046; 03-02-11 at 09:01 PM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 10:16 AM   #6
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepreston View Post
id phone them and ask how much for any ride any bike addition to your current policy (if they ask so you can test ride new bikes your looking at )which they have to honnor, it may be a extra 50 quid but keeps you from doing a fresh 12 month policy, also note you'll need to check if its 3rd party only on any bike or full comp
hth
Be careful doing that; ride other bike entitles you to ride (usually TPO) any other bike, which someone else already insures. So, if your mate has a bike which he is insured to ride and he gives you permission, you can ride it and your insurer will cover you. You can't use it to ride other bikes which are not insured (whether you own them or not).
Old 04-02-11, 10:42 AM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Yeah I've got other bike cover but it doesn't count if it's owned by or registered to me.

(but they don't have to be otherwise insured)
Old 04-02-11, 01:37 PM   #8
davepreston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Be careful doing that; ride other bike entitles you to ride (usually TPO) any other bike, which someone else already insures. So, if your mate has a bike which he is insured to ride and he gives you permission, you can ride it and your insurer will cover you. You can't use it to ride other bikes which are not insured (whether you own them or not).
you mean like this
Quote:
Originally Posted by davepreston View Post
hth

and youve got this bit wrong too mate see below

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Yeah I've got other bike cover but it doesn't count if it's owned by or registered to me.

(but they don't have to be otherwise insured)
mmmm registered to my dad mr insurance company
Old 04-02-11, 02:36 PM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

What happens when you park it at the side of the road?
Old 06-02-11, 10:58 AM   #10
BernardBikerchick

don't get me started!! i was quoted over £700 frigging quid !! thank god i got it down to 225 though still a lot grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr